German top-flight outfit Wolfsburg have contacted Manchester United regarding a possible loan move for French attacker Anthony Martial, according to Kicker.
Having broken onto the scene with a stellar debut campaign at Old Trafford in 2015/16, Martial’s form took a significant dip this past season, with the 21-year-old managing just 8 goals across all competitions for United.
Many have attributed this to the presence of Jose Mourinho at the club, with rumours of the pair not seeing eye-to-eye having led to Martial being heavily linked with a departure from Manchester this summer.
Arsenal were touted as a surprise destination last month, while Serie A outfit AS Roma’s interest seems to have waned.
Another rumoured exit option for Martial has been some form of swap deal with Inter Milan involving Ivan Perisic, though early murmurs of a potential agreement have since gone quiet.
And, the latest club to throw their hat in the ring for Martial are Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.
Kicker reports that the club’s Director of Sport Olaf Rebbe has already been in touch with the Red Devils regarding the former Monaco standout, though it is said that the Old Trafford club have no intention of allowing Martial to leave on a temporary basis over the coming months.
Following a number of disappointing years for fans of one of Europe’s biggest clubs, it looks as though there may once again be cause for optimism for one half of the Milanese divide.
Trio of signings
This afternoon, AC Milan announced the club’s third signing of the summer transfer window, with Wolfsburg’s classy full-back Ricardo Rodriguez having arrived for a fee in the region of 18 million Euro.
However, the Rossoneri, under the new ownership of a wealthy Chinese consortium, look far from ready to rest on their laurels, with a further trio of deals said to be in the pipeline.
A 50 million Euro double swoop for Lazio pair Lucas Biglia and Keita Balde Diao is looking more likely by the day, with the agent of the latter today confirming that Vincenzo Montella’s side have reached an agreement with their Serie A rivals for his client.
In addition, shortly after the signing of Rodriguez was announced by the club, the representative of Atalanta’s in-demand full-back Andrea Conti was spotted making his way into the San Siro club’s HQ.
After a stellar start to the summer transfer campaign which has seen the club bring in highly-regarded Villarreal central defender Mateo Musacchio and Atalanta’s ‘new Yaya Toure’ Franck Kessie, Italian giants AC Milan have all but secured a deal for Wolfsburg’s classy full-back Ricardo Rodriguez.
Though no exact details of the transfer have been revealed as of yet, it is thought that the Rossoneri’s deal for Rodriguez is worth between 15 and 18 million Euro.
The 43-time capped international arrived in Milan this evening ahead of his medical with the club, where he was heard shouting ‘Forza Milan.’
Rodriguez, a talented full-back who is equally capable going forward and defending, is known for his set-piece abilities and wicked left-foot.
The 24-year-old has previously been linked with some of Europe’s biggest sides, with Arsenal, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid all credited with an interest in the Swiss.
However, it is sleeping Italian giants Milan who have secured a deal with Bundesliga side Wolfsburg, as the San Siro side continue their rebuild under the club’s new Chinese owners.
According to news spilling out of Germany on Monday, Wolfsburg are about to pinch a member of Arsenal’s backroom staff.
Wolfsburg are looking for a manager after sacking Valerien Ismael in recent days.
Ismael had been in charge of the Bundesliga club since October but he failed to lift the 2009 champions out of the lower half of the table, with Wolfsburg having lost four of their last five league games.
With a vacancy in their dugout, the likes of Bild and Kicker both believe that Arsenal academy manager Andries Jonker is set to take over the Wolfsburg job.
Who is Andries Jonker?
Before joining Arsenal in 2014, Andries Jonker was the assistant coach at Wolfsburg.
The 54-year-old Dutchman has also previously worked alongside Louis van Gaal during his spells at FC Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
Jonker has also previously been the full-time manager of Dutch clubs FC Volendam, MVV Maastricht and Willem II.
Julian Draxler’s move to Paris Saint-Germain has been confirmed by Wolfsburg.
The 23-year-old attacker has penned a four-year deal with the French champions and will complete the move after a successful medical. While details of the transfer fee are confidential, the word on the street is that it’s a fee of £38m.
Draxler had been itching for a move for several months. A switch from Schalke to Wolfsburg didn’t work out for a number of reasons. One being his terrible grasp of diplomacy. He openly called Wolfsburg a stepping stone.
To be fair, that’s what they’ve proven to be but not in the manner that Draxler would have wanted. Rather than forcing the transfer with good performances, he’s being escorted off the premises.
Arsenal have reportedly been interested in signing Draxler for a very long time but were beaten to the punch yet again. Unai Emery strengthens his squad ahead of a huge Champions League knockout tie vs Barcelona in February.
On Tuesday it seemed that German World Cup winner Julian Draxler was headed to Paris.
No longer wanted at Wolfsburg following a breakdown with the club’s hierarchy, Draxler is a shoo-in to swap clubs in the January transfer window, and PSG had been widely assumed to have been on the brink of closing the deal barely forty-eight hours ago.
But on Wednesday a member of Draxler’s entourage told Le Parisien that the forward was also considering a move to Arsenal.
And on Thursday, the Times have boldly announced that Liverpool are also in the running for the 23-year-old.
Memphis Depay’s Manchester United nightmare could finally end in January, according to Bild. The German media outlet report that a move to the Bundesliga could be in the pipeline with Wolfsburg interested. He’s only managed to get 94 minutes of game time in all competitions this season so Jose Mourinho is likely to be open to letting him go. The bench isn’t doing Memphis any good.
Finding his old form
Whether that’s a permanent deal or a temporary one isn’t clear. Memphis has been a bona fide flop at Old Trafford. There’s no doubting that. But at 22-years-old he can still turn it around and there have been flashes of his potential during his stint as a Red Devil. Mind you, they were shown in the immediate aftermath of his €34 million move from PSV in the summer of 2015. Since then, he’s been wildly inconsistent at best.
Maybe a loan move would work wonders for his clearly low confidence. Perhaps he could rediscover the form that saw him become one of Europe’s most sought-after young players. Wolfsburg currently just above the relegation zone with six points from six points. Could this be a perfect union or a match made in hell?
Over the weekend, the defender has spoken to Blick about what happened over the summer, and why he never moved from the Bundesliga. Rodriguez claimed:
I guess it was just meant to be this way. God wanted it this way.
You just need the right timing for a transfer and it’s a fact that during this transfer window, there were hardly any transfers of players in my position.
I don’t think €25m is too much for me. I’m only 24 and I already have more than four years of experience as a regular in the Bundesliga and the national team, and over €40m has been spent on players with less going for them.
To be honest I don’t think any footballer is worth so much, but these are the mechanics of professional football.
I have a contract here until 2019 and I’ve been here for four-and-a-half years and established quite a reputation within the team. Everything’s good, believe me.
For much of the summer window, Heung-Min Son was linked with a move away from Tottenham.
The South Korean suffered an injury hit campaign during his first season at Spurs and has recently been away at the Olympics.
Son, who did not play for South Korea this week, in order to train with Spurs and prove himself to Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with a return to the Bundesliga where he is still highly regarded.
At the end of the summer transfer window, Wolfsburg were linked with Son when rumours began that PSG were making a mega move for Julian Draxler.
Wolfsburg Managing Director Klaus Allofs is quoted as saying by Bild: “He [Son] is a very interesting player for us.”
Bild reveal that Wolfsburg offered 32 million euros for Son in the summer transfer window.
Tottenham are asking for 40 million euros to sell He is a very interesting player for Heung-Min Son.
The German newspaper expect another Wolfsburg bid for Son come in the January transfer window.
Son will be keen to play for Tottenham this coming Saturday at Stoke, to prove his worth. Erik Lamela is unlikely to start due to travelling back from Argentina’s South American World Cup qualifier in Venezuela.
This may mean a start for new Tottenham signing Moussa Sissoko.
German news outlet Kicker have an update from Wolfsburg on Tuesday.
It’s been a whirlwind few days for Die Wolves, as Bas Dost has left the club to join Sporting CP, while rumours are flying about that Julian Draxler could be on his way to PSG in an enormous 75 million euro deal.
Other rumours floating around include claims Wolfsburg could move for Tottenham’s Heung-Min Son should Draxler join the Ligue 1 giants.
Chelsea & Ricardo Rodriguez
In Kicker’s update from the Bundesliga side, they claim that Chelsea have been making moves to sign Swiss international left-back Ricardo Rodriguez.
It’s unclear whether Chelsea posted an official bid, but Kicker say Rodriguez is a target for the Blues.
The rumours linking the Pensioners with Rodriguez aren’t new. Swiss paper Blick recently claimed Antonio Conte could sign both Swiss international full-backs this transfer window: Ricardo Rodriguez and Stephan Lichtsteiner.
Rodriguez has also been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge in the Mirror, where it was claimed the 23-year-old Wolfsburg defender is available for £22 million.
In any event, the trust of the Kicker story is that Wolfsburg are taking a firm stance that none of their stars are leaving before the window closes.
Whether they’ll actually be able to keep the vultures away remains to be seen.
One club who look set for a hectic final couple of days in the transfer window are German club Wolfsburg.
Over the weekend, Wolfsburg offloaded Bas Dost to Sporting CP in a 10 million euro deal.
The Dost transfer is thought to be the precursor for Islam Slimani’s move from Sporting to Leicester City.
At the same time, Die Wolves have reportedly posted a 30 million euro bid with Tottenham for South Korean international star Heung-Min Son, while German news outlet Kicker are claiming that PSG are gearing up for an enormous late bid for Wolfsburg’s attacking midfielder Julian Draxler.
Julian Draxler to PSG?
In a short report from Kicker, it’s claimed that PSG may table a 75 million euro offer for Draxler.
Draxler is thought to be keen on a Wolfsburg exit before Wednesday, after the German international has been repeatedly tipped to leave the club throughout the summer.
It’s feeling increasingly likely that a little over a year since his arrival at White Hart Lane, South Korean star Heung-Min Son could be about to leave Spurs before the transfer window shuts this week.
The attacking midfielder was a resounding success in the Bundesliga both with Hamburg and Leverkusen, where he scored at an impressive rate while also keeping up the creative side of his game.
However, since joining Spurs in a 22 million pound deal last summer, Son has struggled to settle at the Lillywhites.
Moreover, Spurs have boosted their attacking options over the summer with the capture of Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkmaar, meaning Son has an ever greater struggle on his hands to break into Mauricio Pochettino’s first team.
Wolfsburg make a bid
According to Monday’s edition of Bild, Wolfsburg have posted a 30 million euro bid for Son.
Over the weekend, Wolfsburg sold striker Bas Dost to Sporting Lisbon for €10m plus bonus payments, and it’s assumed that money would help fund the Son deal.
Spurs may be happy to let Son go, however one suspects that Wolfsburg have a job on their hands trying to do a deal with Daniel Levy in the final days of the summer window.
Is this why Spurs are chasing Crystal Palace’s winger Wilfired Zaha?
Chelsea are plotting a move for Wolfsburg’s £22million-rated defender Ricardo Rodriguez before the transfer window closes.
Blues boss Antonio Conte is eyeing a new left-back after allowing Baba Rahman to join Schalke on loan, which has left the versatile Cesar Azpilicueta – who was signed as a right-back – as their only senior option for the position.
Julian Draxler’s exit from Wolfsburg could get ugly.
The German international, who only joined Wolfsburg from Schalke last summer, made public his desire to leave Wolfsburg earlier this week, declaring that he was ready to hand in a transfer request in order to push through a transfer.
Aware that Arsenal are interested in him, Draxler is apparently ready to do whatever it takes in order to get his move.
But Wolfsburg aren’t impressed.
Wolfsburg playing hardball
Bild report that the club have fined Draxler €100,000 for his public dalliances, the equivalent of 1 week’s wages for the German international.
Wolfsburg don’t want to sell their star attacker, but reports suggest that Arsenal can get him for around 50m pounds.
It’s bad news for Gooners hoping they would finally land the former Schalke star. Read the statement in full below. The important bits are highlighted.
“The Supervisory Committee and the Board of Directors at VfL Wolfsburg Fußball-GmbH feel the need to comment on the interview with Julian Draxler which was published in the ‘BILD’ newspaper, in order to clarify the current situation and dispel any possible resulting rumours.
“VfL Wolfsburg wish to make it absolutely clear that at no time did those responsible at the club make either written nor oral commitments on the transfer of Julian Draxler within the current transfer period, which is due to end on August 31st, 2016. This is reiterated by a contractual release clause agreed upon with Julian Draxler and his management, which does not come into effect until summer 2017. VfL Wolfsburg will not be selling Julian Draxler during the course of the current transfer period.
“In joint discussions with Julian Draxler, VfL Wolfsburg again made it clear that they would not be granting the player’s wish to make a move. We now consider any possible uncertainties to have been eradicated and that all parties can revert back to a professional and responsible collaboration for the good of VfL Wolfsburg and, in particular, for our fans.”