Sporting put William Carvalho up for sale, Arsenal & Man United may pounce [Record]
The transfer rumours surrounding highly-rated Sporting midfielder William Carvalho has stepped up a notch on Wednesday after Portuguese paper Record have announced that the 22-year-old has been put up for sale by the Lisbon club.
According to the narrative in Record, Sporting want to sell Carvalho while his value is high so they can fund new signings.
If accurate, Sporting’s actions also seem to calling for a bidding war for their highly-prized midfielder, who has been linked to Manchester United for several months.
Somewhat surprisingly, rather than claiming United are the frontrunners for Carvalho, Arsenal are now being name-dropped as possible suitors.
Arsenal have been chasing a central midfielder all summer, however recent weeks have seen efforts to sign Sami Khedira from Real Madrid fall by the wayside.
It’s worth noting that the Angolan-born defensive midfielder has £37m release clause in his contract, which is likely to be the fee which Sporting will require to let the player leave.
The youngster also has complicated ownership structure as Sporting only own 60% of Carvalho, while another company, BES, own 40%. Moreover, Carvalho is under contract at Sporting until 2018.
Watch Live Stream
- Lucas Perez will sign for Arsenal by Friday [Marca]August 25, 2016
- Who? A lot of Arsenal fans have never heard of imminent new signing Lucas Perez [Tweets]August 24, 2016
- Arsenal set to sign Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruña for €20m [El Confidencial]August 24, 2016
- Savage: Barcelona star Gerard Pique makes fun of Arsenal on TwitterAugust 24, 2016
- Sun stitch up Anthony Martial claiming his personal life is negatively affecting his Man United formAugust 25, 2016
- Man United’s move for Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane [Cope]August 25, 2016
- Man Utd players warned Schweinsteiger to work on fitness and stop watching wife playing tennisAugust 24, 2016
- Golazo: Man United loanee Adnan Januzaj scores sublime winner for Sunderland (Video)August 24, 2016
- Arsenal’s Joel Campbell joins Sporting CP on loanAugust 21, 2016
- Man City plot the signing of a Portuguese Euro 2016 winner [Times]August 14, 2016
- Pep Guardiola targets Portugal Euro 2016 hero Rui Patricio to replace Joe Hart [Daily Record]August 13, 2016
- Real Madrid make Portugal star Joao Mario their big transfer target [AS]August 4, 2016