Irish pitch invader receives a spine-crunching double rugby tackle at Man United v LA Galaxy
A huge credit to the guys at Joe.ie for reporting this story.
Manchester United began their American pre-season tour with a one-sided 7-0 demolition of MLS outfit LA Galaxy.
At the end of the match, a pitch invader was briefly spotted on TV getting taken out by securitys, and now the story behind the lad, and fan footage of what actually happened, has come out.
The pitch invader was Irish student Matthew Costigan, who was in the US on a summer programme. Costigan was living with 13 mates in a house in Los Angeles.
After the game, Costigan, wearing all white, ran onto the pitch, kicked a football and shook Man United’s Reece James’ hand, before he was on the receiving end of a spine-crunching double rugby tackle by security.
The Irishman was hit so hard, fans in the crowd audibly yelped at what they witnessed.
See the footage below.
Watch Live Stream
- Richard Chaplow, ex-WBA & Saints, gets two game ban abusing gay footballer Robbie RogersAugust 25, 2016
- New York City beat LA Galaxy 1-0 thanks to David Villa goal (official video)August 21, 2016
- Terrible: A bird was hit by a ball on New York City FC’s pitch as the LA Galaxy warmed up (Video)August 21, 2016
- Arsenal & Chelsea old boy Ashley Cole scores his first MLS goal (Official Video)August 8, 2016
- FPL GW3: Time for a double transfer & #alwayscaptainAgueroAugust 25, 2016
- Man United & Arsenal full internationals included in England U21 squadAugust 25, 2016
- Paul Pogba talks about Man United & Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a new MUTV interview (Video)August 25, 2016
- Sun stitch up Anthony Martial claiming his personal life is negatively affecting his Man United formAugust 25, 2016