- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Villa leave it late to beat Hull
Hull 0 – Aston Villa 1 (Premier League, December 30, 2008) Martin O’Neill’s side claimed all three points when Ashley Young’s 88th minute cross was diverted into his own net by Kamil Zayatte, with Gabriel Agbonlahor waiting to pounce. At the death Hull were awarded a penalty by referee Steve Bennett for an alledged handball against Ashley Young, but after consulting with his linesman the decision was (correctly) reversed. The defeat condemned the Tigers to a fourth home defeat in five games, while Villa moved back up to fourth.
Central Coast Mariners 1 – Perth Glory 0 (A-League, December 31, 2008) A stunning John Hutchinson half-volley that struck both posts before hitting the back of the net in the 80th minute, sent the Mariners to the top of the league in the final match of 2008.
- Updated: December 30, 2008