The reduced summer schedule served up a bite-sized list this week, however football continues unabated in South America and with it a host of screw-ups came to the fore in the past seven days.
Figueirense keeper Wilson did his reputation no favours allowing Anailson’s tame effort on target dribble through the goalie’s arms and legs to end up in the net. And terrible goalkeeping was again on show in the match between Barueri and Avai, home “shotstopper” Rene doing particularly badly to allow Marquinhos’ deflected free-kick to completely slip through his grasp. (See here, 0.30 seconds in.)
But the schmuck of the week award was claimed by Brazilian bad-boy Carlos Alberto playing for Vasco da Gama against Guarani, for a dimwitted attempt at pretending to be hit by a non-existent elbow which resulted in the on-loan Werder midfielder been shown his early marching orders for cheating. (Watch here.)
Onto the list, where arguably the standout goal appears at number 3. With that being said we encourage you to watch all six strikes and, as always, just sit back and enjoy!
1. Kieran Gibbs (England U21v Azerbaijan U21, June 8, 2009)
2. David Villa (Spain v Azerbaijan, June 9, 2009)
3. Oscar Rojas (Mexico v Trinidad & Tobago, June 10, 2009) (pictured)
4. Walter Ayovi (Ecuador v Argentina, June 10, 2009)
5. Sergey Nazarenko (Ukraine v Kazakhstan, June 10, 2009)
6. Fernando Torres (Spain v New Zealand, June 14, 2009)