Two candidates leapt to the top of the schmucks list this week, both with an excellent claim to win the dunces cap for the biggest blunder of the past seven days.
First up is Ajax’s young centre-half Ismail Aissati who sadly made a name for himself for all the wrong reasons after scoring in the match with Benfica at the Amsterdam Tournament.
The problems started when Ajax goalie Kenneth Vermeer received a back-pass, with the Portuguese opponents pressing the Dutchman high up the pitch. Rather than safely clear his lines Vermeer spotted Aissati calling for the ball just outside the box, even thoughÂ the defender was crowded by opposition players at the time. Accordingly Vermeer passed possession to Aissati.
Almost immediately, the penny appeared to drop on Aissati of how much danger he was in as the Benfica attackers began to swarm the number 11. To stay safe all that was needed was a soft, cushioned pass from Aissati back to the keeper, which could then see the danger cleared once and for all.
But the cock-up of the week was found in Norway in an incident which sees Sigurd Rushfeldt become the first player ever to be both a schmuck and goalscorer of the week at the same time.
Playing for Tromso at home to Stromsgodset, Rushfeldt had the opportunity to hand his side the lead from the penalty spot during the first half. Sadly things didn’t go to plan at the first instance with the visiting keeper making the save, however matters worsened dramatically in the aftermath as Rushfeldt (under pressure from his numpty teammate Lars Iver Strand) managed to miss an even easier chance to score facing an open net.
Sigurd Rushfeldt’s appalling penalty and follow-up can be seen here.
Onto the list where again we have been blessed with a quality collection of strikes from around the globe.
If you like acrobatic volleys check out goals 1, 2, 7 and 12, while if thunderous drives from distance are more your cup of tea then goals 3, 4, 5 and 11 should satisfy.
A fine free-kick is positioned at goal 10, a beautiful pair of chips can be found at goals 8 and 9, while arguably the outstanding effort of the week is at number 6.
As always, all we ask is that you sit back and enjoy!
1. Filippos Darlas (Sparta Rotterdam v PAOK, July 22, 2009)
2. Dentinho (Corinthians v Vitoria, July 23, 2009)
3. Siksten Kasimir (Tallinna FC Flora v Brondby, July 23, 2009)
4. Didier Drogba (Chelsea v AC Milan, July 24, 2009)
5. Clarence Seedorf (Chelsea v AC Milan, July 24, 2009)
6. Claudio Lopez (Kansas City Wizards v Los Angeles Galaxy, July 25, 2009) (pictured)
7. Scott McGleish (Leyton Orient v Newcastle, July 25, 2009) (0.50 minutes in the video)
8. Ariel Ortega (River Plate v Everton, July 25, 2009)
9. Sigurd Rushfeldt (Tromso v Stromsgodset, July 26, 2009)
10. Alex (CSKA Moscow v Spartak Moscow, July 26, 2009)
11. Jose Manuel Rueda (Barcelona v Al Ahly, July 26, 2009)
12. Michael Owen (Hangzhou Greentown v Manchester United, July 26, 2009)