In a week where there weren’t too many cock-ups, one footballer stood out like a shining beacon for the schmuck of the week award. Step forward Mr. Robinho.
Despite having wads of cash, Robinho is currently trying to survive a morale sapping famine that has seen the Brazilian go thirteen Premier League games without a goal. For a player who thrives on offensive play such a return is simply not good enough, and the crisis of confidence appears to be hitting home after witnessing Robinho’s appalling penalty attempt against Sunderland on Saturday.
Rolling a pathetic penalty straight to keeper Marton Fulop, watch how the incident went down from a Sunderland perspective here.
Onto the list.
On the chip/lob front we have a wonderful splattering of beauties in the form of goals 1, 7, 8 and 11. There were also a handful of top-draw volleys (goals 2, 4 & 5), a fine overhead-kick (goal 6), a couple of unstoppable rockets (goals 9 & 12) and a sublime solo effort befitting the best player in world football (goal 10).
And then there was the odd one out, a goal from the halfway line (goal 3).
As always, all we ask is that you sit back and enjoy!
1. Carlos Darwin Quintero (Santos Laguna v Atlante, Mar. 18, 2009)
2. Jimmy Hempte (Kortrijk v Club Brugge, Mar. 20, 2009)
3. Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas v Chicago Fire, Mar. 21, 2009) (first goal on the video)
4. Pavel Nedved (Roma v Juventus, Mar. 21, 2009)
5. Zoltan Gera (Fulham v Manchester United, Mar. 21, 2009)
6. Admir Aganovic (Westerlo v Dender, Mar. 21, 2009)
7. Pawel Sasin (Wisla Krakow v Cracovia Krakow, Mar. 22, 2009)
8. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan v Reggina, Mar. 22, 2009)
9. Marcelo (Real Madrid v Almeria, Mar. 22, 2009)
10. Lionel Messi (Barcelona v Malaga, Mar. 22, 2009)
11. Dani Alves (Barcelona v Malaga, Mar. 22, 2009)
12. Albert Riera (Liverpool v Aston Villa, Mar. 22, 2009)