A brilliant seven days of football has just come to a close in which we were treated to Champions League and (less so) the Europa League, as well as local cup action, and a complete compliment of domestic European football.
For every up though there is a down. Welcome to international week.
As usual, a handful of footballers will be hoping the next seven days help eradicate memories of their top draw bloopers.
Belgium goalies should now go by the collective name of “Dracula” (or for the religiously intolerant of you out there, “Jesus”). Why you ask? Because they really (Lech Poznan vs Club Brugge), really (Westerlo vs Zulte-Waregem), really (Lokeren vs Mouscron) don’t like crosses. We’re here all week!
Amidst all the chatter of Wayne Rooney’s alleged dive and Arsene Wenger’s ridiculous sending off during the Manchester United-Arsenal epic on Saturday, without question the plonker of the hour was Gunners’ midfielder Abou Diaby. What was he thinking jumping up for that header?
But the Frenchman wasn’t the only footballer to have a brain-freeze at exactly the wrong moment. Over in Turkey Sivasspor had a disastrous time losing 2-nil at home to minnows Diyarbakirspor, with the mood set by Cihan Yilmaz’s farcical own-goal opener after just seven minutes.
But the schmuck of the week award goes to AIK Stockholm’s fancy-pants Martin Mutumba for attempting to execute an unbelievably unnecessary piece of skill, and failing big-time.
Onto the list, where we have a wonderful collection of goals to bring you.
Looking for the best of the best, we have a stunning volley from an acute angle at number 5, unstoppable rockets at goals 6, 7, 8 and 9, and a couple of mouth-dropping stunners at goals 10 and 11. Feel free to leave us your thoughts in the comments.
As always, all we ask is that you sit back and enjoy!
1. Gergely Rudolf (Debrecen v Levski Sofia, Aug. 25, 2009)
2. Dave Kitson (Leyton Orient v Stoke, Aug. 26, 2009)
3. Santi Kolk (Roda v Vitesse, Aug. 28, 2009)
4. Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk, Aug. 28, 2009) (assist from Messi)
5. Franco Dario Cangele (Kayserispor v Denizlispor, Aug. 29, 2009)
6. Michel Bastos (Lyon v Nancy, Aug. 29, 2009)
7. Dejan Stankovic (AC Milan v Inter Milan, Aug. 29, 2009)
8. Andrei Arshavin (Manchester United v Arsenal, Aug. 29, 2009)
9. Jeremy Clement (PSG v Lille, Aug. 30, 2009)
10. Adil Chihi (Hamburg v Cologne, Aug. 30, 2009)
11. Enzo Maresca (Larisa v Olympiakos, Aug. 30, 2009)