There was stiff competition again for the schmuck of the week honour. Over in Holland, ex-Gooner Giovanni van Bronkhorst threw his name into the hat with some appalling defending in the box during Feyenoord’s 2-1 defeat at Volendam (1.07 minutes in). While in Sweden, GAIS (any opportunity to say their name!) opened their new season with a crushing 5-1 win at Orgryte, but the first goal was pure comedy and home keeper Peter Abrahamsson refused to let a free-kick run out of play, and in turn set up the opener (0.20 seconds in).
And then there was Carlos Tevez’s insane attempt at tackling Gareth Barry with a diving header!
But the worst mistake of the week came from little known French keeper from Clermont Foot, Pierre Bouysse, playing at Montpellier for Clermont Foot in Ligue 2 on Friday night.
It was was tough night for the sub-keeper, who was forced to make an introduction after number 1 Mickael Fabre foolishly handled outside his box and was sent off. Yet no excuses can be offered to Bouysse for his part in the home side’s second of the game, as the keeper appeared to literally throw the ball over his own line when trying to catch a Costa free-kick.
Pierre Bouysse’s moment of shame can be seen here.
Onto the list, and this weekÂ it is serious. I’ll leave the hyperbole to you after you watch eleven of the best goals seen in 2009.
If you’ve only got time for aÂ few videos, you must watch goals 5, 6 and 7.Â But if youÂ don’t watchÂ the others you will miss an overhead-volley, a stunning solo effort and a scissor-kick.
As always, all we ask is that you sit back and enjoy!
1. Adel Taarabt (Angola v Morocco, Mar. 31, 2009)
2. Ismail Matar (Saudi Arabia v UAE, April 1, 2009)
3. Ebi Smolarek (Poland v San Marino, April 1, 2009)
4. Michael Ballack (Wales v Germany, April 1, 2009)
5. Emil Johansson (Elfsborg v Hammarby, April 4, 2009)
6. Morgan Amalfitano (Grenoble v Lorient, April 4, 2009)
7. Grafite (Wolfsburg v Bayern Munich, April 4, 2009) (pictured)
8. Gonzalo Higuain (Almeria v Real Madrid, April 4, 2009)
9. Nikolaos Frousos (Anorthosis v AEL Limassol, April 5, 2009)
10. Federico Macheda (Manchester United v Aston Villa, April 5, 2009)
11. Masoud Shojaei (Atletico Madrid v Osasuna, April 5, 2009)
There is still time to enter our Goal of the Month competiton, where all the winners will earn FREE MONEY. Check it out here.