Two footballers unforgivably rose to the “top of schmucks” list this week as they all got themselves sent off for the same ridiculous offence.
For how long has it be known now that if a player removes his shirt they know they will receive a booking? Seriously. Is it three or even four years now? There is simply now excuses anymore for players letting down their teammates for such stupidity.
Yet that is exactly what Luciano Galletti (check out the bare-chest) did during Olympiakos’ incredible Greek Cup final win over AEK, and the same mistake that Gaziantepspor striker Beto made after netting the eventual winner against Sivasspor in Turkey.
The winner of this week’s award though popped up during one of the funniest own goals seen for a while, although we ascribe no particular blame to the victim of the piece – Kayserispor’s veteran keeper Souleymanou Hamidou. Expect to see this clip on a cheesy sports TV show, and probably a number of other football websites, at some point soon.
Onto the list, where there is a strong South American flavour as the European season draws to a close.
Stand-out goals include a thunderbolt at goal 2, a scissors-kick at goal 4 and a coupleÂ of stunning Turkish goals (goals 6 & 7).
As always, all we ask is that you sit back and enjoy!
1. Souza (Gremio v Boyaca Chico, April 28, 2009)
2 Cleiton Xavier (Colo Colo v Palmeiras, April 29, 2009)
3. Julio Gutierrez (Cucuta v Santa Fe, April 29, 2009)
4. Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors v Tachira, April 30, 2009)
5. Edgar Barreto (Bologna v Reggina, May 2, 2009)
6. Dani Guiza (Besiktas v Fenerbahce, May 3, 2009)
7. Filip Holosko (Besiktas v Fenerbahce, May 3, 2009)
8. Gojko Kacar (Hamburg v Hertha Berlin, May 3, 2009)
9. Houssine Kharja (Siena v Napoli, May 3, 2009)
10. Jermaine Johnson (Sheffield Wednesday v Cardiff, May 3, 2009)