As standard, before we get to the goals of the week it’s only right that we also flag up the numpties. And this week we’re getting back to the bread and butter of horror misses with two standout candidates.
Sunday night in Brazil saw Santos whip Sao Paulo 3-nil in the final of the Paulista cup, and the losers poor night was summed up a minute from time when Dagoberto had a glorious opportunity to net a consolation. Santos’ defence were all at sea as the number 25 was freed on the edge of the box and with a clear sight of goal. But rather than hit the target, Dagoberto whacked the ball out the ground!
Yet much worse was seen in the Championship on Saturday in England, in Swansea’s 3-1 win over Barnsley.
Shefki Kuqi: “I think it was the only way I could be on Soccer AM next Saturday â€“ Taxi for Kuqi, theyâ€™ll say!… When the keeper came out I was shoulder-to-shoulder with the defender. Of course, I didnâ€™t expect the keeper to miss it and I thought the defender was with me and running to the line. Looking at it now, I should have taken the ball down and taken my time to put it into the net. But I shot for goal and didnâ€™t make the connection I wanted. These things happen in football. But Iâ€™m not bothered about that. You are going to miss chances, if I didnâ€™t I would probably still be playing in the Premier League.”
Shefki Kuqi’s offering for miss of the season can be seen here.
And after that itâ€™s time for this weekâ€™s list, where we invite you to sit back and enjoy 10 glorious goals, as follows:
1. Sasa Bjelanovic (Vicenza v Ancona, April 13, 2010)
2. Gabriel Obertan (Manchester United reserves v Liverpool reserves, April 14, 2010)
3. Danny Rose (Tottenham v Arsenal, April 15, 2010)
4. Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona v Deportivo La Coruna, April 15, 2010)
5. Freddy Guarin (Porto v Rio Ave, April 15, 2010)
6. Maicon (Inter Milan v Juventus, April 15, 2010)
7. Leandro Gracian (Banfield v Independiente, April 17, 2010)
8. Lovel Palmer (Houston Dynamo v Chivas USA, April 17, 2010)
9. Jaroslav Plasil (Bordeaux v Lyon, April 17, 2010
10. Ezequiel Lavezzi (Bari v Napoli, April 18, 2010)
Narrowly missing the list were goals from Pablo Aimar, Fabio Junior, Diego Forlan, Ruben Micael, Gerson Magrao, Cristiano Ronaldo, Guilherme, Ivan Rakitic, Steven Nzonzi, Marco Perez, Claudio Yacob, Zakaria Labyad, Freddy Guarin, Mirko Vucinic and Charles Nâ€™Zogbia.