- Harry Redknapp post-Arsenal: ‘It was a clear penalty for Gibbs foul on Bobby Zamora’ [Video]
- Sami Khedira is hoping to reach an agreement for a new contract at Real Madrid
- Arsenal fan lays into Olivier Giroud for ‘brainless’ sending off v QPR [Video]
- Neymar: I don’t know if I’ll ever be as good as Ronaldo or Messi [Globo]
- Arsene Wenger: ‘Alexis Sanchez has so much self-confidence that sometimes he’s too individual’ [Video]
Copa Del Rey: Real Madrid draw at Valencia to progress in the cup
Valencia 1 – Real Madrid 1 (Agg. 1-3) (Longer highlights) Cristiano Ronaldo fired a fierce shot on target in the opening exchanges. Real captain Iker Casillas incurred a worrying finger injury in the 13th minute which forced the goalie to be subbed. Madrid broke the deadlock when Alonso picked out Karim Benzema in the box and the French forward slotted home. The game swung in Valencia’s favour when Fabio Coentrao received his second booking in the 51st. Midfielder Tino Costa scored the resulting free kick, which backup goalkeeper Adan Garrido let slip under him. Madrid had little trouble resisting Valencia’s revival even with 10 men. Jose Mourinho’s team ended with nine players when Angel Di Maria saw red for tripping Joao Pereira in the 88th.
- Updated: January 23, 2013