Scottish League Cup semis: St Mirren shock Celtic 3-2, Hearts break Inverness on penalties
- January 27, 2013
St Mirren 3 – Celtic 2 (League Cup semi-final, January 27, 2013) The Buddies got off to the perfect start, Newcastle loanee Conor Newton picking out fellow new boy Esmi Goncalves to poke a finish beyond Lukas Zaluska. The Saints continued to have the best of the play but were dealt a potential hammer blow when Gary Hooper beat the offside trap to level the tie with the last touch of the first half. Things appeared to go from bad to worse for St Mirren after the break when Jim Goodwin was penalised for a hand ball in the box. Charlie Mulgrew stepped up but was denied by a fine Craig Samson save. That proved a decisive intervention as Mulgrew then gave away a penalty which was finished perfectly by former Celt Paul McGowan. The match was put firmly in the Paisley men’s hands when Steven Thompson swept home a fine finish to make it 3-2.
Inverness CT 1 – Hearts 1 (Pens 4-5) (League Cup semi-final, January 26, 2013) Phillip Roberts missed the crucial spot-kick as Hearts beat Inverness on penalties to reach the Scottish Communities League Cup final.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...