- Martin Odegaard takes part in first senior Real Madrid training session [Video]
- Mino Raiola prepares for summer bidding war over Paul Pogba [Graphic]
- Frank Lampard & Sergio Aguero score beautiful free kicks in Man City training [Video]
- Fernando Torres v Neymar at half-time of Atletico-Barcelona [video]
- Best Memes: Arda Turan throws his boot at a linesman during Atletico v Barcelona [Video]
Atletico Madrid beat Real Madrid 1-0 (2-1 aggregate) to win Spanish Super Cup [Highlights]
The Spanish Super Cup is never a dull affair, and the 2014 edition didn’t disappoint.
The exhibition cup between the La Liga winners (Atletic0) and Copa del Rey winners (Real Madrid) was played with at a ferocious pace, and with a level of intensity normally only seen well into the season.
In fact, if you had slapped the Champions League badges onto their shirts, you could easily have believed this was the Champions League final all over again.
Atletico, despite being stripped of their best parts over the summer, demonstrated that however much their richer rivals try to deplete and destroy them, their grinta and will to win can never be taken.
Over the 2 legs, and especially in last night’s 2nd leg, they outplayed a Madrid side boasting Toni Kroos, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack.
Atletico won 1-0 on the night (2-1 on aggregate) courtesy of a Mario Mandzukic goal after just 80 seconds.
- Updated: August 23, 2014