Atletico Madrid beat Real Madrid 1-0 (2-1 aggregate) to win Spanish Super Cup [Highlights]
The Spanish Super Cup is never a dull affair, and the 2014 edition didn’t disappoint.
The exhibition cup between the La Liga winners (Atletic0) and Copa del Rey winners (Real Madrid) was played with at a ferocious pace, and with a level of intensity normally only seen well into the season.
In fact, if you had slapped the Champions League badges onto their shirts, you could easily have believed this was the Champions League final all over again.
Atletico, despite being stripped of their best parts over the summer, demonstrated that however much their richer rivals try to deplete and destroy them, their grinta and will to win can never be taken.
Over the 2 legs, and especially in last night’s 2nd leg, they outplayed a Madrid side boasting Toni Kroos, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack.
Atletico won 1-0 on the night (2-1 on aggregate) courtesy of a Mario Mandzukic goal after just 80 seconds.
Watch Live Stream
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Man Utd fans will love Antoine Griezmann’s reason for wearing Long Sleeved Number 7August 22, 2016
- Atletico Madrid 1 – Alaves 1: Late drama as the Rojiblancos drop two points (Official Video)August 22, 2016
- Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane leaves the door open for James Rodriguez exit (Video)August 27, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s brilliant response to Gerard Pique’s easy Champions League commentsAugust 26, 2016
- Humble Cristiano Ronaldo gives brilliant speech after winning UEFA Best Player award (Video)August 25, 2016
- The Champions League group stage draw in full ft. Leicester and ArsenalAugust 25, 2016