Atletico Madrid beat Real Madrid 1-0 (2-1 aggregate) to win Spanish Super Cup [Highlights]
- August 23, 2014
The Spanish Super Cup is never a dull affair, and the 2014 edition didn’t disappoint.
The exhibition cup between the La Liga winners (Atletic0) and Copa del Rey winners (Real Madrid) was played with at a ferocious pace, and with a level of intensity normally only seen well into the season.
In fact, if you had slapped the Champions League badges onto their shirts, you could easily have believed this was the Champions League final all over again.
Atletico, despite being stripped of their best parts over the summer, demonstrated that however much their richer rivals try to deplete and destroy them, their grinta and will to win can never be taken.
Over the 2 legs, and especially in last night’s 2nd leg, they outplayed a Madrid side boasting Toni Kroos, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack.
Atletico won 1-0 on the night (2-1 on aggregate) courtesy of a Mario Mandzukic goal after just 80 seconds.
- Still Got It: Diego Simeone pulls off neat rainbow flick in Atletico Madrid training (V...
- Fernando Torres scores for Atletico Madrid at Real Oviedo (video)
- Chelsea confirm permanent sale of Filipe Luis to Atletico Madrid; Reported fee of £11.3m
- Filipe Luis has completed Atletico medical, but deal not done yet as Chelsea demand hig...
- Atletico Madrid bid farewell to Mario Suarez ahead of Fiorentina move (Video)
- Jackson Martinez arrives in Madrid after Atletico move, brushes off Falcao comparison [...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi