Zlatan Ibrahimovic saying revamped Swedish national anthem turned into a pop song
- February 12, 2014
The ad, featuring Zlatan saying the anthem, was significant in Sweden as Ibrahimovic has often been accused of failing to sing “Du gamla, Du fria” before big Sweden matches.
Zlatan described his version of the Swedish national anthem: “This is as Sweden looks like 2014. I don’t speak perfect Swedish, but that’s the way it is. A mix everywhere. I can be Swedish all the same. We are all different yet similar.”
Ibrahimovic added: “My father is from Bosnia and Muslim. Mum is from Croatia and Catholic. But I was born in Sweden and am a Swedish citizen. You can’t change that. That’s the situation, accept it.”
And, on previously not singing the anthem, Zlatan said in promotional work for the Volvo ad: “It has just never clicked with me to sing these words,” he said. “This new anthem is just what we need. The old one was long and boring.”
The revamped version of the Swedish anthem, by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, has now taken on a life if its own, as a pop song, which can be heard above.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...