Zenit set to gazump Napoli to re-sign Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel
Not only is Luis Suarez head for the exit door at Liverpool, centre-half Martin Skrtel is leaving too if widespread reports are to be believed.
Most had thought that Skrtel would be heading to Napoli after the move had been touted loudly by several Italian news agencies earlier in the week.
The move to San Paolo had seemed to make sense as Skrtel would be reunited with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Napoli, as well as ex-Liverpool teammate Pepe Reina.
But now new rumours have surfaced overnight that Russian moneybags Zenit St Petersburg had moved into pole position for the Slovakian centre-half.
Skrtel to Zenit also seems closer. Might be confirmed tomorrow morning. It will mean all but a new CB for #LFC.
— Artur Petrosyan (@arturpetrosyan) August 6, 2013
Skrtel was signed by Liverpool back in 2008 from Zenit, where the defender played 113 games over four seasons between 2004-2008.
Footage of Martin Skrtel playing for Zenit can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Borussia Dortmund reject Liverpool’s £11m bid for Christian Pulisic, loan move possible [ESPN]August 29, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho rejects loan move to Stoke City [Telegraph & Mirror]August 29, 2016
- Dinamo’s Ante Coric explains why he’s rejected a move to Liverpool [Vecernji list]August 29, 2016
- Valencia line up their replacement for Arsenal bound Shkodran Mustafi [Super Deporte]August 28, 2016
- Everton agree €30m fee with Zenit for Axel Witsel [Di Marzio]July 23, 2016
- Chelsea to gazump Everton to sign a midfielder [Sun]July 6, 2016
- Zenit fine & demote Aleksandr Kokorin after Russian star spends €250k on champagne (Video)July 5, 2016