Zenit set to gazump Napoli to re-sign Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel
- August 7, 2013
Not only is Luis Suarez head for the exit door at Liverpool, centre-half Martin Skrtel is leaving too if widespread reports are to be believed.
Most had thought that Skrtel would be heading to Napoli after the move had been touted loudly by several Italian news agencies earlier in the week.
The move to San Paolo had seemed to make sense as Skrtel would be reunited with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Napoli, as well as ex-Liverpool teammate Pepe Reina.
But now new rumours have surfaced overnight that Russian moneybags Zenit St Petersburg had moved into pole position for the Slovakian centre-half.
Skrtel to Zenit also seems closer. Might be confirmed tomorrow morning. It will mean all but a new CB for #LFC.
— Artur Petrosyan (@arturpetrosyan) August 6, 2013
Skrtel was signed by Liverpool back in 2008 from Zenit, where the defender played 113 games over four seasons between 2004-2008.
Footage of Martin Skrtel playing for Zenit can be seen below.
- Man United and Arsenal stars make up the bulk of Michael Owen’s Dream Team XI [Vi...
- How Liverpool could play a 3-4-3 formation next season [Graphic, the Observer]
- Liverpool’s Emre Can rejects Ginter’s criticism after going out for pizza d...
- Southampton’s Nathaniel Clyne photographed after completing Liverpool medical [Pi...
- Steven Gerrard welcomed by less than 10 LA Galaxy fans upon USA arrival [Video]
- Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho produced a glorious sombrero during Brazil’s ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi