Zenit set to gazump Napoli to re-sign Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel
- August 7, 2013
Not only is Luis Suarez head for the exit door at Liverpool, centre-half Martin Skrtel is leaving too if widespread reports are to be believed.
Most had thought that Skrtel would be heading to Napoli after the move had been touted loudly by several Italian news agencies earlier in the week.
The move to San Paolo had seemed to make sense as Skrtel would be reunited with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Napoli, as well as ex-Liverpool teammate Pepe Reina.
But now new rumours have surfaced overnight that Russian moneybags Zenit St Petersburg had moved into pole position for the Slovakian centre-half.
Skrtel to Zenit also seems closer. Might be confirmed tomorrow morning. It will mean all but a new CB for #LFC.
— Artur Petrosyan (@arturpetrosyan) August 6, 2013
Skrtel was signed by Liverpool back in 2008 from Zenit, where the defender played 113 games over four seasons between 2004-2008.
Footage of Martin Skrtel playing for Zenit can be seen below.
- Former Liverpool men Steven Gerrard & Robbie Keane combine for a goal as the LA Ga...
- Pedro Chirivella impressed in his Liverpool cameo v HJK (Video)
- Liverpool fans hail James Milner following 2 assists v HJK [Best Tweets]
- HJK Helsinki 0 – Liverpool 2: Divock Origi & Philippe Coutinho scored second...
- Al-Arabi boss Gianfranco Zola opens door to Liverpool reject Mario Balotelli [Gazzetta ...
- Wide Awake Club: 2 hours after leaving Liverpool, Rickie Lambert scores brace for West ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi