Yaya Toure talks to City TV about winning the BBC African Footballer of the Year 2013
“I think I’ve been nominated for five years in a row and finally winning the award is amazing. It’s a fantastic achievement because I don’t think there has ever been as many quality African players in top-level international football as there are now: Aubameyang, Pitroipa, Mikel, Moses, Salomon Kalou, Gervinho… we have fantastic players. I also think African football is improving and that means a lot to us. And as an African, I’m very happy.” – Yaya Toure.
Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has been awarded the BBC African Footballer of the Year 2013 following an excellent season for the Premier League title chasers.
Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Toure, despite being nominated five times previously, in years when he has bagged silverware, has now won this award before.
As ever, City TV make mention of Yaya’s brother Kolo and that famous song, so beloved of students, in the clip above.
Watch Live Stream
- Man City’s Yaya Toure pens statement announcing retirement from international footballSeptember 20, 2016
- Yao Serge N’Guessan scored from the halfway line for Ivory Coast v Cameroon (Video)January 31, 2016
- Ex-Ivory Coast & Wigan defender Steve Gohouri found dead in the Rhine. RIPJanuary 2, 2016
- Yaya Toure’s Fantasy 5-a-side team, ft. No Man City players, lots of Barcelona legends (video)August 26, 2015
- Chelsea & Liverpool stars battle Kevin De Bruyne & Michail Antonio for a Premier League awardSeptember 27, 2016
- Kevin De Bruyne’s injury may trigger a special coming together for the Hazard brothers [HLN]September 26, 2016
- Arsenal & Liverpool stars joined by Paul Pogba & Sergio Aguero in the BBC XI of the weekSeptember 26, 2016
- Manchester City loanee Bersant Celina scores again for FC Twente (video)September 25, 2016
- Listen to the complete, crazy rant from Yaya Toure’s agent towards Pep Guardiola (BBC Audio)September 25, 2016
- Dimitri Seluk at it again, says Pep Guardiola treats players like dogs [Tweet]September 23, 2016
- Yaya Toure is allowed to leave Man City for one of their title rivals in January [Guardian]September 21, 2016
- ‘Money-hungry’ Pep Guardiola told Yaya Toure he was leaving Barcelona for a ‘sh*t team’ in 2010September 21, 2016