- Premier League clubs spent £115m on agent fees; Chelsea forking out £16.77m alone [Full List]
- Real Madrid set to pass on option to sign Chicharito as they have Sergio Aguero in their sights [Fichajes]
- Jose Mourinho: Obviously Lionel Messi is not coming to Chelsea
- Exquisite! Meshal Theyab hits wonderful dipping volley in Kuwaiti Premier League game [Video]
- Manchester City give up pursuit of Isco as he is quite happy at Real Madrid [Marca]
Yaya Sanogo gave Per Mertesacker a black eye in an Arsenal training ground bust-up [Sunday Telegraph]
Do the media have it in for Arsenal this weekend?
Gunners fans may start to believe that the press around the British Isles have it in for the Wenger Boys after a couple of scandalous stories on Sunday.
While the Irish Sun claim that married Olivier Giroud cheated on his wife in a 3am romp before Liverpool game, the slightly more respected Sunday Telegraph claim to have the exclusive on a fight between Arsenal’s Yaya Sanogo and Per Mertesacker last week in training.
Jason Burt delivers the exclusive, with the sub-headline: Arsenal’s misery at losing 5-1 to Liverpool is compounded as it emerges that defender Per Mertesacker sustained a black eye in a dispute with team-mate Yaya Sanogo.
As to the meat of the story, there is some confusion as to the actual details. It is evident that nobody at the Sunday Telegraph actually saw the rumoured fight, and thus the broadsheet reports on two different versions of events.
Arsenal played down the clash, saying it was the kind of incident that happens throughout a season. The 21-year-old was not punished by the club.
Arsenal also said that the clash with Sanogo had taken place some time ago with Mertesacker having stated in an interview yesterday that he sustained the black eye he sported during the game after being elbowed accidentally by Wojciech Szczesny in training.
Should the rumours prove true, this will be the most significant impact Yaya Sanogo has made since arriving to the Emirates. So far, the 21-year-old Frenchman has made just one cameo appearance the Gunners first team.
- Updated: February 8, 2014