Yaya Sanogo gave Per Mertesacker a black eye in an Arsenal training ground bust-up [Sunday Telegraph]
- February 8, 2014
Do the media have it in for Arsenal this weekend?
Gunners fans may start to believe that the press around the British Isles have it in for the Wenger Boys after a couple of scandalous stories on Sunday.
While the Irish Sun claim that married Olivier Giroud cheated on his wife in a 3am romp before Liverpool game, the slightly more respected Sunday Telegraph claim to have the exclusive on a fight between Arsenal’s Yaya Sanogo and Per Mertesacker last week in training.
Jason Burt delivers the exclusive, with the sub-headline: Arsenal’s misery at losing 5-1 to Liverpool is compounded as it emerges that defender Per Mertesacker sustained a black eye in a dispute with team-mate Yaya Sanogo.
As to the meat of the story, there is some confusion as to the actual details. It is evident that nobody at the Sunday Telegraph actually saw the rumoured fight, and thus the broadsheet reports on two different versions of events.
Arsenal played down the clash, saying it was the kind of incident that happens throughout a season. The 21-year-old was not punished by the club.
Arsenal also said that the clash with Sanogo had taken place some time ago with Mertesacker having stated in an interview yesterday that he sustained the black eye he sported during the game after being elbowed accidentally by Wojciech Szczesny in training.
Should the rumours prove true, this will be the most significant impact Yaya Sanogo has made since arriving to the Emirates. So far, the 21-year-old Frenchman has made just one cameo appearance the Gunners first team.
- Arsenal academy players talk about what it’s like to get your first pro contract ...
- Wenger ‘happy’ with Arsenal’s summer spending, questions Man United’s...
- Man City & Man United top transfer window net spend Premier League table [Picture]
- #WengerOut: Arsenal fan Piers Morgan blasts Arsene Wenger for lack of spending (Audio)
- Arsenal Supporters’ Trust calls for inquiry into club’s transfer strategy [...
- Martin Keown: Arsenal needed to bring in a striker (video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...