Yaya Sanogo gave Per Mertesacker a black eye in an Arsenal training ground bust-up [Sunday Telegraph]
Do the media have it in for Arsenal this weekend?
Gunners fans may start to believe that the press around the British Isles have it in for the Wenger Boys after a couple of scandalous stories on Sunday.
While the Irish Sun claim that married Olivier Giroud cheated on his wife in a 3am romp before Liverpool game, the slightly more respected Sunday Telegraph claim to have the exclusive on a fight between Arsenal’s Yaya Sanogo and Per Mertesacker last week in training.
Jason Burt delivers the exclusive, with the sub-headline: Arsenal’s misery at losing 5-1 to Liverpool is compounded as it emerges that defender Per Mertesacker sustained a black eye in a dispute with team-mate Yaya Sanogo.
As to the meat of the story, there is some confusion as to the actual details. It is evident that nobody at the Sunday Telegraph actually saw the rumoured fight, and thus the broadsheet reports on two different versions of events.
Arsenal played down the clash, saying it was the kind of incident that happens throughout a season. The 21-year-old was not punished by the club.
Arsenal also said that the clash with Sanogo had taken place some time ago with Mertesacker having stated in an interview yesterday that he sustained the black eye he sported during the game after being elbowed accidentally by Wojciech Szczesny in training.
Should the rumours prove true, this will be the most significant impact Yaya Sanogo has made since arriving to the Emirates. So far, the 21-year-old Frenchman has made just one cameo appearance the Gunners first team.
Watch Live Stream
- Lucas Perez pictured at Heathrow Airport ahead of Arsenal unveilingAugust 29, 2016
- Olivier Giroud discusses Arsenal’s title chances & hails Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s influence at Man UnitedAugust 29, 2016
- Sporting CP post highlights clip of Arsenal’s Joel Campbell debut cameo in 2-1 win (Video)August 29, 2016
- Julian Draxler could be playing for PSG when they face Arsenal in the Champions LeagueAugust 29, 2016
- Shkodran Mustafi will be a big upgrade on Per Mertesacker at Arsenal (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsenal fans’ mixed reaction to Wenger’s choice of new captain [Tweets]August 13, 2016
- Good news in Per Mertesacker’s Arsenal recovery timetable (Video)August 12, 2016
- Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker could be out for five months with knee injuryJuly 25, 2016
- Riyad Mahrez starts following Yaya Sanogo on Twitter. Arsenal fans react [Tweets]August 11, 2016
- Arsenal’s first 2016-17 training session: Yaya Sanogo returns, Jeff Reine-Adelaide’s new numberJuly 5, 2016
- Arsenal loanee Yaya Sanogo sent off for the 1st time in his career v MK Dons (Video)March 9, 2016
- Arsenal’s Yaya Sanogo scores a hat-trick on his Charlton debut, still loses (Official highlights)February 28, 2016