Xherdan Shaqiri set to miss Arsenal first leg after picking up injury during Bayern win over Freiburg
- February 15, 2014
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) February 15, 2014
There hasn’t been a great deal of good news for Arsenal of late, with injuries to key men (Aaron Ramsey and Theo Walcott) combined with some poor results (at Liverpool and arguably at home to Manchester United in midweek).
Meanwhile, the Bayern Munich juggernaut rolls on with Pep Guardiola’s side looking like the best team in Europe by quite some distance.
Bayern beat Freiburg today, 4-0 at home and now have a 16 point (!) lead at the top of the Bundesliga (at the time of posting second placed Bayer Leberkusen are 1-0 down at half-time to Schalke).
The European champions were able to rest some players today, including Bastian Schweinsteiger, Mario Gotze, Thiago Alcantara and Jerome Boateng – who all started the Bundesliga match on the bench.
They were though rocked by the news that Swiss midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri will miss the first leg clash on Wednesday.
Shaqiri had scored twice for Bayern in the first half but then pulled up with an injury on the hour.
Besides Shaqiri, Bayern will also be without Franck Ribery for the clash with Arsenal this week.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]