WTF! Swansea sack Michael Laudrup “to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club” [Tweets]
- February 4, 2014
Jesus Christ! Few people were expecting this on Tuesday night.
Swansea City have sacked manager Michael Laudrup. The 49-year-coach has been replaced by Garry Monk.
The news was announced on the Swansea website, with the following words from Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins:
It is a decision we have taken reluctantly. But it’s a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City Football Club and our supporters.
It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael’s long-term future with us.
I had a meeting with Michael today in a final attempt to support him and establish a way to improve the work of the backroom team to secure the results we need over the final 14 Premier League games.
However, after thinking long and hard about the best way forward, I felt it was unlikely we would achieve a stable environment at the club to allow us to get back to basics and produce the performance levels that have served Swansea City so well over the last few years.
Now we need to put that uncertainty behind us and move forward as a united football club on all fronts, while placing on record our gratitude to Michael for the work he has done over the last 18 months and wish him well for the future.’
I hope all our supporters can fully understand how difficult this period has been for us and I would urge everyone connected to the football club to get behind Garry Monk, the staff and players.
Below are the best tweets on the news Swansea have sacked Michael Laudrup.
United did a league double over Swansea this season. Laudrup had to go.
— Darren Richman (@darrenrichman) February 4, 2014
Laudrup gone, not surprised. They've been awful this season and bar winning the League Cup they haven't really progressed much overall.
— MrBoywunder (@MrBoywunder) February 4, 2014
Just heard Laudrup going to bat at 4 for England in the West Indies. KP to Swansea.
— Max Rushden (@maxrushden) February 4, 2014
Swansea aren't an impatient club who sack managers at first time of trouble. A lot of tension had arisen behind the scenes with Laudrup.
— Oliver Kay (@OliverKayTimes) February 4, 2014
Swansea sacked Laudrup a week before their derby, when just 2 points from the relegation zone, and give the job to a total rookie?
— Michael Graham (@Capt_Fishpaste) February 4, 2014
Blimey Michael Laudrup gone. They should get Brian in to replace him
— Ed Aarons (@ed_aarons) February 4, 2014
Swansea board reached Laudrup decision while the Dane was in Paris. Garry Monk has been coaching part-time at the club's academy. #swans
— Jerrad Peters (@jerradpeters) February 4, 2014
There had been much talk in Denmark of Laudrup leaving Swansea but they thought it would be an amicable divorce at end of season.
— Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) February 4, 2014
Michael Laudrup's departure means the three most recent League Cup-winning managers have left their club within a year of winning at Wembley
— Zarif Rasul (@zarifrasul) February 4, 2014
- Michael Laudrup states decision to stop being a manager in 10-20 years on taking coachi...
- West Ham’s Sam Allardyce could be sacked if Irons lose to Hull, Michael Laudrup w...
- Michael Laudrup explains how he was sacked by email by Swansea
- Michael Laudrup sacked after Paris trip as Kevin Pietersen resigns – Paper Talk [...
- ESPN FC Extra: Swans sack Michael Laudrup
- Michael Laudrup presser post Swansea defeat to Spurs
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi