Worst rule ever! Mattia Destro (Roma) sent off for half removing his shirt after goal v Palermo
- November 5, 2012
“I still think the rule is wrong. He didn’t take the jersey off completely. I understand Destro scored his first goal for Roma and was very happy, so I hope he will score many more in future. Naturally he will be suspended now and it is damaging.” – Roma coach Zdenek Zeman.
We have long felt at 101 Great Goals that handing out a booking to player who removes his shirt after scoring a goal is just wrong. In fact, it is arguably the worst rule ever!
Nowhere was this more evident than after Sergio Aguero’s Premier League title winning goal for Manchester City against QPR.
The rule is simply absurd. A player should be able to celebrate freely after scoring a goal – which is after all the whole point and aim of the game we all love.
What really grates about the shirt removal rule is that it was brought in to ensure sponsors names’ remained front and centre. Surely, great goals and epic celebrations only make the game more attractive for the money men?!
And you have to feel for Mattia Destro! The 21-year-old Italian had only been on the pitch for six minutes (!), scored his first Roma goal and caught himself mid-action with his shirt barely even over his head.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”255771″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi