- Hull to sign Malmo keeper Robin Olsen for free [Fotbollskanalen]
- Worst Xmas present! Borussia Dortmund fan gets a toaster which makes Bayern bread [Pictures]
- Corinthians intensify effort to sign Spurs’ Paulinho, player’s wife being pregnant a factor [Globo]
- Celtic to fend off offers from Arsenal & Liverpool for defender Virgil van Dijk [Scotsman]
- “He is a player of United!” LVG rules out loan move for Adnan Januzaj
Worst. Rule. Ever. Edin Dzeko is the latest victim for revealing New Year message
Yes, we know the rules have been in place for years and the players should know better.
But, football is a sport to be enjoyed and cautioning Edin Dzeko for wishing us all a “Happy New Year” is simply wrong and would be against the “spirit of football,” if there was such a thing.
What should surely grate for many is that the shirt removal rule was brought in to ensure sponsors names’ remained front and centre.
Yet, Dzeko’s shirt removal today was one of the finest gestures seen on New Year’s Day in English football and just makes the referee look pathetic.
Whenever there are lists of what rules need changing in football, this is the one mentioned. When will the rule makers listen to the fans?
GIF below. Followed by some choice Tweets.
Edin Dzeko yellow carded for showing a Happy New Year T-Shirt after he scored. Awful.
— Football Funnys (@FootballFunnys) January 1, 2013
Edin Dzeko booked for celebrating his goal by revealing a t-shirt with an extremely offensive slogan on it. It read “Happy new year”.
— Telegraph Sport (@TelegraphSport) January 1, 2013
Edin Dzeko removes his shirt to reveal ‘Happy New Year’ message.Gets a yellow card for that.@fa bringing the game into disrepute again
— JJ (@JJSinghSTARR) January 1, 2013
- Updated: January 1, 2013