- Jose Mourinho urges Manchester City not to sack old foe Pellegrini [Sun]
- Jose Mourinho has an interesting theory to explain why Chelsea receive so much online hate [Video]
- 50% of Real Madrid fans want Gareth Bale to fill in for Marcelo at left-back [MARCA poll]
- David Luiz take note: Marcelo brilliantly blocks a nutmeg at Real Madrid training [Video]
- Christian Benteke gives a very ‘good’ pre-Liverpool interview…[Video]
What if… Theo Walcott had not been wrongly called offside during Bayern Munich 0 – Arsenal 2
- March 14, 2013
Had Arsenal won 3-0 at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday night it would have been one of the all-time great European comebacks.
As it is, the 2-0 victory at Bayern has been hailed in England and could well breathe new confidence into an Arsenal side battling to grab a top four position in the Premier League.
Arsene Wenger’s side only put themselves in a position to win the tie in the 86th minute of the second leg, when Laurent Koscielny made it 3-3 on aggregate.
The final minutes however were taken up by a scuffle in Manuel Neuer’s net after the German keeper grabbed the ball after Koscielny’s goal and a fair few Mikel Arteta gouls as Bayern saw the game out.
So, what if Arsenal had pulled it back to 2-0 a lot earlier. Would Bayern have been able to up their game? And would Arsenal have been able to take advantage.
We will never know, but the decision to call offside on Theo Walcott’s run in the 55th minute looks worse and worse the more often you view it.