Wesley Sneijder: Two minutes after Galatasaray drew Chelsea I got a call from Jose!
- February 25, 2014
Its arguably the big Champions League match of the week, and it features plenty of old friends facing each other.
Not only will Didier Drogba compete against his former club Chelsea on Wednesday night, when Galatasaray host the Blues, there will also be a meeting of former colleagues.
Wesley Sneijder had the best season of his career at Inter Milan under Jose Mourinho.
The Nerazzurri famously won the treble with Sneijder playing a key role in a roaming playmaker role that brought out the best in the Dutchman.
Sneijder and Mourinho are still close and the Galatasaray midfielder told the Turkish media in the lead-up to the Champions League clash with Chelsea that he got a call from The Special One just two minutes after the draw was made.
The former Ajax and Real Madrid midfielder said: “Just two minutes after the draw, the phone rang and it was none other than Jose Mourinho. He asked some crafty questions about team tactics, players, trying to obtain information, but he could not fool me – I have played football for many years and know what is being asked and what to say. We will see how the team plays and if we can beat them.”
The video below is from a press conference last season when Galatasaray faced Real Madrid and Sneijder described what it was like to face Jose Mourinho.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...