Wayne Rooney to be offered new long term Manchester United deal [Sunday Telegraph]
After a summer of transfer gossip linking Wayne Rooney to Chelsea, talk of a new deal was almost inevitable once the window slammed shut at the beginning of last week.
The Sunday Telegraph report this morning that Manchester United are set to offer Rooney a new deal to keep him from the clutches of Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge.
Rooney’s current deal ends in June 2015 and Chelsea or any other suitors will be encouraged to sign the Manchester United forward if he is has run down his contract at Old Trafford by the end of this season.
Jason Burt writes in the Daily Telegraph: “United will not rush into negotiations because they want the furore over the summer – when Rooney pushed for a move to Stamford Bridge and was clearly unhappy – to settle down. Instead they want to ensure Rooney is content working in what one senior source was the “new environment” under new manager David Moyes. There remains the strong possibility that United might propose talks in the new year although they are mindful that they do not want to push Rooney, who has also endured a difficult time with injuries.”
Burt adds towards the end of the piece: “United will also continue their search for another central midfield player although they will not increase their single bid of £20million for Ander Herrera which was rejected by Athletic Bilbao. The club rejected claims that they made and inquiry for Real Madrid’s Sami Khedira and also that they missed out on Mesut Ozil, who was offered to them but they declined because they want Rooney to play in that position. United would be interested in Cristiano Ronaldo if he becomes available next year.”
Wayne Rooney’s most recent (ghastly) head injury that ruled him out of England’s World Cup qualifiers, is above.
The Sunday Telegraph back page is below.
Watch Live Stream
- Tim Sherwood thinks Manchester City could buy Michael Carrick in January (Video)October 22, 2016
- Jose Mourinho told Howard Webb that ‘The Man’ was going to fire him back in 2007 (Video)October 21, 2016
- Just one Manchester United player makes it into the Europa League Team of the Week [Graphic]October 21, 2016
- Manchester United have a horrific record away at Chelsea since 2002 [Graphic]October 21, 2016
- Michael Owen left amazed that Wayne Rooney didn’t take a penalty tonight (Video)October 20, 2016
- Wayne Rooney starts up front: Manchester United v Fenerbahce [Team Sheets]October 20, 2016
- “A new challenge” – Classy Wayne Rooney discusses his new role at Manchester UnitedOctober 19, 2016
- Man Utd’s Wayne Rooney can break Alan Shearer’s record by scoring at Liverpool tonightOctober 17, 2016