Wayne Rooney releases a statement regarding his Twitter fiasco
- May 10, 2013
It’s been a crazy few days at Manchester United. After Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement a story broke regarding Wayne Rooney.
It’s widely reported that the England and United frontman handed in a transfer request a fortnight ago. Sir Alex Ferguson rejected it.
A new story then emerged. It appeared Wayne Rooney had changed his Twitter bio, taking ‘Manchester United player’ out.
Wayne Rooney released a statement of Friday evening, explaining that it was done weeks ago for Nike.
Perhaps what is more interesting is his lack of clarity regarding his future at the club.
Below is the statement he uploaded:
Deleting Man United from my twitter account. Rubbish. Go to – officialwaynerooney.com/news/article/r…
— Wayne Rooney (@WayneRooney) May 10, 2013
Statement from Wayne Rooney
“There’s a load of rubbish being written about me changing twitter bio saying I have deleted Manchester United from it.
I have never deleted Manchester United from the bio whatever the papers are saying because it was never on there.
All that happened was that I was asked by Nike to add @nikeuk to it – the same as many other sportspeople they sponsor.
Funny, no-one’s written about that though!
That change was made THREE weeks ago and yet people are talking about it as if its something that was put up yesterday..”
Statement from Nike
A spokesperson for Nike confirmed: “In April, we asked Wayne Rooney and other Nike sponsored athletes to add @nikeuk on to their profiles due to changes in ASA guidelines relating to athletes and social media.”
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...