Wayne Rooney gets angry when asked about his Man United transfer request after the Leverkusen win
ITV interviewer Gabriel Clarke asked the question and he also got his head bitten off for it.
Tuesday night was a historic milestone for Wayne Rooney at Manchester United, as the centre forward chalked up his 200th goal since arriving at Old Trafford back in 2004.
Rooney’s second goal against Bayer Leverkusen, a clever finish at the near post, was his 200th strike, and Rooney has became only the fourth Red Devils to reach those lofty goalscoring heights in the club’s history. Rooney’s 200 goals have come in 406 appearances.
Rooney, who turns 28 at the end of October, was naturally interviewed on TV after the match, and after waxing lyrical with interviewer Gabriel Clarke about United’s win over the Germans, the interviewer did his job with the following question.
Clarke: Your name is being sung again. Are you happy again?
Rooney: Listen, I’m concerned with my football as I’ve done all summer. I’ve got my head down, I’ve worked hard to get myself fit and ready for the season. So I’m delighted with the way I’ve come back. Delighted that I’m back playing and scoring goals.
Clarke: There was a lot of speculation. Did you ever ask to leave?
Rooney: Listen, I’ve just told you are concerned with my football which I’ve been doing all summer… The fans have been brilliant. The fans here have been fantastic with me.
Watch Wayne Rooney’s get angry when asked about his Man United transfer request below, along with a series of tweets on the Q&A.
Great result tonight. Proud to score 200 goals for utd. Hopefully more to come.
— Wayne Rooney (@WayneRooney) September 17, 2013
Well done Gabriel Clarke for asking Wayne Rooney the question that mattered on ITV last night
— Paul Newman (@newman_cricket) September 18, 2013
Can't remember Wayne Rooney snapping at an interviewer like he did on ITV last night. Spurned chance to set the record straight.
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) September 18, 2013
Rooney just doesn't help himself, just say whether you did or didn't hand a request in, swerving the question makes it worse
— Kadeem Whittaker (@KadeemWhittaker) September 18, 2013
Watch Live Stream
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic praises Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s ‘magnificent’ goal v Zorya (Video)December 8, 2016
- Jose Mourinho shows great agility to dodge linesman during Zorya 0 – Manchester Utd 2 (Video)December 8, 2016
- Paul Scholes & Michael Owen agree Henrikh Mkhitaryan should start v Tottenham (Video)December 8, 2016
- Paul Scholes & Michael Owen tip Manchester United to win Europa League (Video)December 8, 2016
- Manchester United fans slate Wayne Rooney’s 1st half performance at Zorya [Tweets]December 8, 2016
- Wayne Rooney suspended for Manchester United’s trip to EvertonNovember 30, 2016
- James Collins jokes about Wayne Rooney after Man United 1 – West Ham 1 [Instagram]November 28, 2016
- Man United captain Wayne Rooney trolls fame-hungry masseur [Instagram]November 26, 2016