He Who Shall Not Be Named: Wayne Rooney: “I haven’t seen him (Fergie) since he retired’, looking positively content about that
There’s no love lost between Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson.
Interviewed by Geoff Shreeves last night following United’s win over Real Sociedad, Rooney was asked about the content of his ex-manager’s book, and the conflict that could arise from Fergie still lurking as a club director.
Rooney, though, refuted that possibility with an interesting revelation – they haven’t even spoken since Fergie retired.
Rooney said: ‘No, not at all, I haven’t seen him since I retired; so I’m just happy under the new manager David Moyes’, looking positively contented and almost relieved to that Fergie is now out of sight and out of mind.
It was also notable how he never once referred to Fergie by name, instead using ‘him’ and ‘he’; is Fergie now He Who Shall Not Be Named in the United dressing room?
Also, on the prevailing belief that he put in a transfer request – perpetuated by Ferguson until now – Rooney believes he’s be exonerated.
At the end of last season Wayne Rooney became something of a hate figure for many Manchester United fans after Sir Alex Ferguson ended his reign at Old Trafford by saying that the club’s number 10 wanted to leave.
Rooney always contested suggestion that he’d handed in a transfer request to Manchester United, but that did little to quell a series of long-winded transfer rumours over the summer all claiming Rooney was a United goner.
As we now know Rooney stayed at Old Trafford, and now it appears that the England striker has been proven to have told the truth about his non-transfer request.
Sir Alex Ferguson altered his story this week saying Rooney never handed in a formal piece of paper demanded his departure from United, and Rooney celebrated that truth in a post match interview after the 1-0 win over Real Sociedad.
Rooney: “He’s (Ferguson) come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in … he’s gone back and proven that I didn’t.”
Watch Wayne Rooney’s interview below.
Watch Live Stream
- Sunderland boss David Moyes plans to park the ‘double decker bus at Liverpool (Video)November 26, 2016
- Sunderland boss David Moyes mocked after sharing his tactics pre Liverpool gameNovember 25, 2016
- David Moyes thinks Mourinho’s struggles put his Man United reign in contextNovember 5, 2016
- Things go from bad to worse for Sunderland and David MoyesNovember 1, 2016
- Man United misfits spotted at the boxing as they’ll miss the Spurs matchDecember 11, 2016
- Man United ITK spreads enormous transfer news about an incoming strikerDecember 11, 2016
- Man United v Spurs: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 10, 2016
- Jose Mourinho trolls Arsenal ahead of clash with Tottenham HotspurDecember 10, 2016
- How Cristiano Ronaldo pranked Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United (video)November 22, 2016
- The Times suggest that Sir Alex Ferguson may go bankrupt due to film schemeNovember 19, 2016
- Man United legend Sir Alex Ferguson to set up a university for managers [Times]November 13, 2016
- Gary Neville reveals secret to Sir Alex Ferguson’s success at Man United [MEN]November 12, 2016