He Who Shall Not Be Named: Wayne Rooney: “I haven’t seen him (Fergie) since he retired’, looking positively content about that
- October 24, 2013
There’s no love lost between Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson.
Interviewed by Geoff Shreeves last night following United’s win over Real Sociedad, Rooney was asked about the content of his ex-manager’s book, and the conflict that could arise from Fergie still lurking as a club director.
Rooney, though, refuted that possibility with an interesting revelation – they haven’t even spoken since Fergie retired.
Rooney said: ‘No, not at all, I haven’t seen him since I retired; so I’m just happy under the new manager David Moyes’, looking positively contented and almost relieved to that Fergie is now out of sight and out of mind.
It was also notable how he never once referred to Fergie by name, instead using ‘him’ and ‘he'; is Fergie now He Who Shall Not Be Named in the United dressing room?
Also, on the prevailing belief that he put in a transfer request – perpetuated by Ferguson until now – Rooney believes he’s be exonerated.
At the end of last season Wayne Rooney became something of a hate figure for many Manchester United fans after Sir Alex Ferguson ended his reign at Old Trafford by saying that the club’s number 10 wanted to leave.
Rooney always contested suggestion that he’d handed in a transfer request to Manchester United, but that did little to quell a series of long-winded transfer rumours over the summer all claiming Rooney was a United goner.
As we now know Rooney stayed at Old Trafford, and now it appears that the England striker has been proven to have told the truth about his non-transfer request.
Sir Alex Ferguson altered his story this week saying Rooney never handed in a formal piece of paper demanded his departure from United, and Rooney celebrated that truth in a post match interview after the 1-0 win over Real Sociedad.
Rooney: “He’s (Ferguson) come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in … he’s gone back and proven that I didn’t.”
Watch Wayne Rooney’s interview below.
- David Moyes thinks Phil Neville has what it takes to become England manager
- Say it ain’t so: Marouane Fellaini shed tears over David Moyes’ Manchester ...
- LVG’s Man United mocked after 3-0 thrashing by Everton [Best Tweets & Memes]
- One year on from Man United sacking, David Moyes is loving life at Real Sociedad [Video]
- Louis van Gaal’s record v top 6 at Man United compared to David Moyes v top 6 in ...
- Man United’s away record under Louis van Gaal is much worse than under David Moye...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi