He Who Shall Not Be Named: Wayne Rooney: “I haven’t seen him (Fergie) since he retired’, looking positively content about that
There’s no love lost between Wayne Rooney and Sir Alex Ferguson.
Interviewed by Geoff Shreeves last night following United’s win over Real Sociedad, Rooney was asked about the content of his ex-manager’s book, and the conflict that could arise from Fergie still lurking as a club director.
Rooney, though, refuted that possibility with an interesting revelation – they haven’t even spoken since Fergie retired.
Rooney said: ‘No, not at all, I haven’t seen him since I retired; so I’m just happy under the new manager David Moyes’, looking positively contented and almost relieved to that Fergie is now out of sight and out of mind.
It was also notable how he never once referred to Fergie by name, instead using ‘him’ and ‘he’; is Fergie now He Who Shall Not Be Named in the United dressing room?
Also, on the prevailing belief that he put in a transfer request – perpetuated by Ferguson until now – Rooney believes he’s be exonerated.
At the end of last season Wayne Rooney became something of a hate figure for many Manchester United fans after Sir Alex Ferguson ended his reign at Old Trafford by saying that the club’s number 10 wanted to leave.
Rooney always contested suggestion that he’d handed in a transfer request to Manchester United, but that did little to quell a series of long-winded transfer rumours over the summer all claiming Rooney was a United goner.
As we now know Rooney stayed at Old Trafford, and now it appears that the England striker has been proven to have told the truth about his non-transfer request.
Sir Alex Ferguson altered his story this week saying Rooney never handed in a formal piece of paper demanded his departure from United, and Rooney celebrated that truth in a post match interview after the 1-0 win over Real Sociedad.
Rooney: “He’s (Ferguson) come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in … he’s gone back and proven that I didn’t.”
Watch Wayne Rooney’s interview below.
Watch Live Stream
- Jose Mourinho’s record after 14 Manchester United games is worse than David Moyes’October 24, 2016
- Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs: Marouane Fellaini was a ‘panic buy’October 22, 2016
- Nemanja Vidic talks about the time David Moyes made him watch videos of Phil Jagielka defendingSeptember 17, 2016
- David Moyes confirms Adnan Januzaj’s Sunderland loan, promises plenty of game time (Video)August 12, 2016
- No Cojones: Zlatan Ibrahimovic ‘Alphas’ Manchester City’s Otamendi with lewd gestureOctober 27, 2016
- Juan Mata and Ander Herrera speak post-Manchester United 1 – City 0 (Video)October 26, 2016
- Man City boss hails Pablo Maffeo, believes 19-year-old was a match for United’s Paul Pogba (Video)October 26, 2016
- ‘I’ve never seen anything like them’: Jose Mourinho hails Manchester United fans (Video)October 26, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Mads Timm claims he didn’t get chance at Man Utd as he wasn’t signed to Fergie’s son’s agencyOctober 13, 2016
- Swansea’s Bob Bradley can talk (loudly), has an interesting connection with Alex Ferguson (Video)October 7, 2016
- The Star make a big claim about Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson & Man UnitedOctober 1, 2016