Was Sir Alex Ferguson sacked by Manchester United?
- May 9, 2013
During all the tributes to Sir Alex Ferguson’s 26 years in charge at Manchester United, following the announcement he was to resign on Wednesday, very few questions have been asked about the reasons behind the decision.
Ferguson of course said the following: “The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.”
Manchester United’s legendary goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel hinted at perhaps Ferguson having health problems at the grand old age of 71.
Schmeichel said: “Is it his hip operation? I can’t see him retiring over that. Until he explains why, we can guess and guess. There is something there we don’t know about. He won’t retire for the sake of retiring — it is difficult to make sense of it.”
Another theory has also emerged, provided by veteran journalist David Meek who wrote Sir Alex Ferguson’s notes for the Manchester United programme.
Meek was on TalkSPORT yesterday and suggested the Glazers may have pushed Ferguson out: “There is a scenario that he was going to blissfully carry on for at least another season. But there was a meeting with the Glazers, and soon after, he’d decided to quit.”
The former Manchester Evening News correspondent added: “I don’t think it would have been made forcefully, if he felt that the owners no longer had 100% confidence in him then I don’t think he would have hesitated.”
Meek’s interview with Richard Keys and Andy Gray can be heard on the video below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...