Was it a penalty? Spurs beat Hull thanks to questionable spot kick [Poll & video]
- October 27, 2013
“For a decision like that to go against you, I just think it’s brutally unfair. I often question myself, at times when I see it like that, I think would we have got it? Would we have got that here at White Hart Lane? But you get into trouble and I get into trouble. It is really, really, harsh and an awful, awful decision. It’s nowhere near a penalty. It shouldn’t be anywhere near it and it’s unfortunately cost us the match. It has even hit his thigh to begin with. We are taught as kids, stop the ball from coming into your box. He has stuck his leg out, it has hit his thigh and come up onto his arm. Yes, it has technically hit his arm. The boy is four yards from him. It’s a ridiculous decision.” – Hull boss Steve Bruce.
Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player “handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)”. – From FIFA’s Laws of the Game.
It was a performance very much in keeping with Spurs at home this season, as Hull sat back and waited for Andre Villas-Boas’ side to breakdown their stubborn opponents.
Lewis Holtby and Aaron Lennon struggled before they were withdrawn, Roberto Soldado received very little service and Andros Townsend was more of less the only player threatening Hull.
The breakthrough came from the penalty spot, via ice cool Soldado, just as it had done at Crystal Palace and at home to Swansea earlier in the campaign.
Egyptian winger Ahmed El Mohamady was adjudged to have handled a cross from Jan Vertonghen that came at him from very close range.
Watch the video below and leave your thoughts in the poll and in the comments section below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...