Video: The Jon Champion “Cheat” commentary on Luis Suarez handball goal v Mansfield
- January 7, 2013
Luis Suarez’s handball goal at Mansfield continues to make headlines.
ESPN, who broadcast the game in the UK on Sunday, have produced an apology and censured commentator Jon Champion.
They announced this afternoon: “We take our responsibility to deliver the highest standards of coverage to our viewers. ESPN’s editorial policy is for commentators to be unbiased and honest, to call things as they see them. Inevitably this can involve treading a fine line on occasion, especially in the heat of the moment.”
ESPN continue: “Comments during the Mansfield v Liverpool match caused offence where none was intended and we have spoken to our commentator about this incident.”
This reportedly follows a number of complaints to ESPN about commentator Jon Champion who described the goal thus as follows: “Suarez has scored by illegal, nefarious means. This is the work of a cheat.”
Footage of Jon Champion and Chris Waddle’s commentary on Luis Suarez’s goal at Mansfield can be seen below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi