- A shirtless Thierry Henry reacts to New York Red Bulls 1 – New England Revolution 2 [Video]
- Still Got It! 41 year old Cuauhtemoc Blanco scores free-kick for Puebla v Santos Laguna
- (Chelsea’s) Fernando Torres has disappointing 73 minutes in AC Milan 1 – Inter 1 [Individual Highlights]
- AC Milan 1 – Inter Milan 1 [Video Highlights]
- ‘Oh No You Don’t!’ Xavi forced Messi back out onto pitch to receive guard of honour [GIF]
Video: The Jon Champion “Cheat” commentary on Luis Suarez handball goal v Mansfield
Luis Suarez’s handball goal at Mansfield continues to make headlines.
ESPN, who broadcast the game in the UK on Sunday, have produced an apology and censured commentator Jon Champion.
They announced this afternoon: “We take our responsibility to deliver the highest standards of coverage to our viewers. ESPN’s editorial policy is for commentators to be unbiased and honest, to call things as they see them. Inevitably this can involve treading a fine line on occasion, especially in the heat of the moment.”
ESPN continue: “Comments during the Mansfield v Liverpool match caused offence where none was intended and we have spoken to our commentator about this incident.”
This reportedly follows a number of complaints to ESPN about commentator Jon Champion who described the goal thus as follows: “Suarez has scored by illegal, nefarious means. This is the work of a cheat.”
Footage of Jon Champion and Chris Waddle’s commentary on Luis Suarez’s goal at Mansfield can be seen below.
- Updated: January 7, 2013