Video: The Jon Champion “Cheat” commentary on Luis Suarez handball goal v Mansfield
- January 7, 2013
Luis Suarez’s handball goal at Mansfield continues to make headlines.
ESPN, who broadcast the game in the UK on Sunday, have produced an apology and censured commentator Jon Champion.
They announced this afternoon: “We take our responsibility to deliver the highest standards of coverage to our viewers. ESPN’s editorial policy is for commentators to be unbiased and honest, to call things as they see them. Inevitably this can involve treading a fine line on occasion, especially in the heat of the moment.”
ESPN continue: “Comments during the Mansfield v Liverpool match caused offence where none was intended and we have spoken to our commentator about this incident.”
This reportedly follows a number of complaints to ESPN about commentator Jon Champion who described the goal thus as follows: “Suarez has scored by illegal, nefarious means. This is the work of a cheat.”
Footage of Jon Champion and Chris Waddle’s commentary on Luis Suarez’s goal at Mansfield can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...