Video: The dirty dive Luis Suarez has admitted to in Liverpool’s draw with Stoke
- January 16, 2013
Liverpool striker and talisman Luis Suarez has given an interview with Argentinian TV where he admits to diving this season in the goalless draw with Stoke in October.
Suarez: “I don’t listen to all the nonsense some people say about me. I’m accused of cheating here – people say I throw myself all the time inside the box. They said that when we played against Stoke, for instance. And in that case they were right. I invented a foul because we were drawing against Stoke and I wanted to win. Sometimes on the pitch I say to myself, ‘What have I done?’ But the name of Suarez sells papers.”
The Liverpool forward was not booked for the incident by referee Lee Mason but was on the receiving end of some harsh criticism from Stoke boss Tony Pulis and pundits following the goalless draw.
It should be pointed out that Suarez came out with this information after Liverpool have since played Stoke again – where he won an early penalty for a clear foul in a defeat at the Britannia.
And, that supposedly squeaky-clean Michael Owen also admitted to diving to win penalties for England and received very little criticism.
Intriguingly, after this piece of honesty, which may not help his cause for the rest of the campaign, Suarez also discussed his handball goal against Mansfield.
The Uruguayan said: “I touched the ball with my hand accidentally, and I was criticised because I kissed my hand [his normal goal celebration].”
Footage of Luis Suarez’s dive against Stoke, which as you can hear on the video below was ridiculed at the time, can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...