- Man United boss Louis Van Gaal jokes “She’s the boss” whilst being dragged away by media manager [Video]
- Olivier Giroud out of Dortmund game: Arsenal failed to register striker for CL!
- Nuts! Ricardo Kishna’s amazing Panna for Ajax v Heenreveen [Official video]
- Arsene Wenger kept Arsenal’s players in for dressing room for showdown talks after Man United loss
- Arsenal paid £50,000 for Paul Gascoigne’s medical care; Spurs made Gazza pay for CL tickets [Sun]
Video: Szczesny’s late wonder save to secure all 3 points for Arsenal at Sunderland
Last season it was Thierry Henry who produced some late heroics to secure Arsenal’s victory at Sunderland, on Saturday the Pole in goal, Wojciech Szczesny, stood tall late on.
Arsenal held on at times at the Stadium of Light, especially after Carl Jenkinson’s sending off, and Szczesny had a superb match – surely his best of the campaign.
The wonder save from the Arsenal custodian came as Sunderland really pushed. On 84 minutes they “kept the ball in the mixer” and the ball fell to Steven Fletcher just yards from goal.
A fine header from Fletcher appeared to be going in until Szczesny clawed it out with a stunning save that saw the Sunderland man jump up and down in frustration.
Arsenal would later hit the post through Theo Walcott and Szczesny would pull off another save from Adam Johnson but this was probably the key moment in the game and arguably a big save in the context of Arsenal’s season.
With Bayern Munich beating Schalke 4-0 and setting a new Bundesliga record with 54 points from 21 games, Wojciech Szczesny may well have to produce more saves like this one in the upcoming Champions League tie.
- Updated: February 9, 2013