Video: Should Robin van Persie have been banned for elbow on Yohan Cabaye?
- October 8, 2012
“He has looked at Yohan and he has elbowed him, and I think that perhaps needs to be looked at, if I am honest. There’s a bit of history from last year and I don’t know if Robin has been caught up in that, but that was just a little bit unsavoury. I actually thought Yohan wouldn’t have gone down if he hadn’t done something. I didn’t see it myself, but I have obviously seen it on the replay and it looks like he has looked at him and put his elbow there.” – Newcastle boss Alan Pardew.
Late on in Manchester United’s emphatic 3-0 win over Newcastle, Robin van Persie was involved in an off-the ball incident with Yohan Cabaye.
The Manchester United forward appeared to elbow the Frenchman in the face on the edge of the Newcastle area.
Despite Alan Pardew’s protestations which are questionable at best – after all what do Newcastle have to gain from RVP missing 3 games – the FA have cleared the Dutch forward on account of the fact that referee Howard Webb felt no further action was required.
RVP had earlier been booked in the match and was almost immediately substituted by Sir Alex Ferguson after the incident.
It is a boost for Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United with van Persie possibly missing three games if Webb had pushed proceedings further.
For the sake of comparison, it should be noted that Montpellier’s Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was banned for 5 matches for a not too dissimilar elbow on St Etienne’s Romain Hamouma in Ligue 1.
In addition, what does Robin van Persie have against Newcastle?! At the back end of last season, whilst with Arsenal, the Dutch striker famously got into a slanging match with Toon keeper Tim Krul.
Video of Robin van Persie elbowing Yohan Cabaye is here:
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...