Videos: Michael Johnson’s best goals for Manchester City
- January 15, 2013
There are those that argue that Michael Johnson has been well remunerated to throw his football career away due to some bad luck with injuries and his indulgence of the night life (reportedly).
Nevertheless, it is not difficult to feel sorry for Johnson today following the news that he has been released by Manchester City.
The publication of a bloated picture of Michael Johnson in the Daily Mail, which originally surfaced on Twitter, was the final straw with City then confirming the midfielder had been released before Christmas.
So why all the fuss?
Well, Johnson’s career at Manchester City may have been short but in that time, when the Premier League champions were not the side they are now, he was one of their up and coming stars.
Compared to City’s greatest ever player, Colin Bell, Johnson was also the subject of a 10 million pound bid from Liverpool which was rejected.
Two goals stood out – most likely because they were Johnson’s only Premier League goals for the club. But bear in mind he was a central midfielder who had plenty of assets to his game, including a good engine and fine technical ability.
Johnson’s goals against Derby and Aston Villa, in 2007/2008 can be seen below.
At 24, Michael Johnson does still have an opportunity to make a return to action at the highest level.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi