- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Van Gaal wants Roy Keane as an assistant at Man United as Glazers get ready for 2nd meeting [Independent]
Is Louis van Gaal and Roy Keane the dream team ready to return Manchester United to their former glories?
The Independent have an exclusive story on their Thursday backpage in which the broadsheet claims that Louis van Gaal, the frontrunner to succeed David Moyes as the next United boss, wants to bring Roy Keane in with him as an assistant.
The headline on the rear of the paper reads “Keane in line for assistant job as United want ‘thread’ to past glory”.
Inside the article readers are told:
The Glazers, who also have the Real Madrid manager, Carlo Ancelotti, in mind, are understood to be ready to undertake a second meeting with Van Gaal in Portugal, possibly later this week, and there appears to be substance to suggestions that the 62-year-old wants (Roy) Keane to join him, as someone familiar with the terrain who has managerial experience.
Van Gaal’s appreciation of Keane goes back to 2001, when the midfielder’s brilliance helped prevent the Dutchman’s Netherlands team from qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.
The story in the Independent coincides with the bombastic headline in the Mirror also reporting that the Glazers are heading to Manchester United to take care of business.
- Updated: April 23, 2014