- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Van Gaal wants Roy Keane as an assistant at Man United as Glazers get ready for 2nd meeting [Independent]
Is Louis van Gaal and Roy Keane the dream team ready to return Manchester United to their former glories?
The Independent have an exclusive story on their Thursday backpage in which the broadsheet claims that Louis van Gaal, the frontrunner to succeed David Moyes as the next United boss, wants to bring Roy Keane in with him as an assistant.
The headline on the rear of the paper reads “Keane in line for assistant job as United want ‘thread’ to past glory”.
Inside the article readers are told:
The Glazers, who also have the Real Madrid manager, Carlo Ancelotti, in mind, are understood to be ready to undertake a second meeting with Van Gaal in Portugal, possibly later this week, and there appears to be substance to suggestions that the 62-year-old wants (Roy) Keane to join him, as someone familiar with the terrain who has managerial experience.
Van Gaal’s appreciation of Keane goes back to 2001, when the midfielder’s brilliance helped prevent the Dutchman’s Netherlands team from qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.
The story in the Independent coincides with the bombastic headline in the Mirror also reporting that the Glazers are heading to Manchester United to take care of business.
- Updated: April 23, 2014