- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
USA’s Abby Wambach makes history, breaks Mia Hamm’s international scoring record
Something special happened in New York’s Red Bulls Arena on Thursday night as American forward Abby Wambach became the all-time leading scorer in women’s international football with four goals against South Korea.
The Americans eventually beat their Asian counterparts 5-0, and the win was a formality at the the interval after Wambach amazingly scored four times in the opening 45 minutes to take her past Mia Hamm and onto 160 goals for her country.
Her first was an excellent turn-and-shot in the box, her second a brilliant header, her third a booming header from a corner, and her fourth was a simple tap-in from an Alex Morgan assist.
With the record secured, Wambach was substituted just before the hour mark as the crowd showered her with a chant of “Ab-by Wam-bach!”
Highlights of the United States 5 – South Korea 0 can be seen below, along with a supplementary video made by US Soccer celebrating Abby Wambach’s record-breaking success.
- Updated: June 21, 2013