- Robinho pulls off awesome skill in charity match [video]
- Man United move for “transfer listed” Nemanja Vidic [Star Sunday]
- John Terry (34) to get a new £175k-a-week one year Chelsea deal [Star & Express]
- Arsenal set for 20m William Carvalho bid [Mail on Sunday]
- West Ham may lose Big Sam after the season & Irons may sell 20% to pay off debt [Telegraph]
Ukrainian football legend Andriy Shevchenko makes his professional golf debut at the Kharkov Superior Cup
Cynics might spin the next story by saying Andriy Shevchenko quit football to become a politician, but now that professional choice has failed he’s trying his luck at being a professional golfer.
36-year-old Andriy Shevchenko, the former European Footballer of the Year, will make his debut on golf’s Challenge Tour on Thursday at the Kharkov Superior Cup in the Ukraine.
The ex-AC Milan and Chelsea striker has been given a special invitation for the event, and he has told reporters:
This is the first big event for me and of course it is the first event in Ukraine so it’s a huge event for golf in this country. I have played with many good players in pro-ams but this is different. I hope I play well…but I just want to have a good time and enjoy the week.
It’s quite different to football alright. I started to play golf to escape from the pressure from football.
I come on to a golf course and turn off my phone and just walk the course and hit some balls. It’s one of the reasons why I started to play. I just found this great game where you have to be focused and balanced and that’s why I like it. I like that mental balance.
Footage of Andriy Shevchenko practicising for the event and speaking to local reporters can be seen below.
- Updated: September 12, 2013