Ukrainian football legend Andriy Shevchenko makes his professional golf debut at the Kharkov Superior Cup
- September 12, 2013
Cynics might spin the next story by saying Andriy Shevchenko quit football to become a politician, but now that professional choice has failed he’s trying his luck at being a professional golfer.
36-year-old Andriy Shevchenko, the former European Footballer of the Year, will make his debut on golf’s Challenge Tour on Thursday at the Kharkov Superior Cup in the Ukraine.
The ex-AC Milan and Chelsea striker has been given a special invitation for the event, and he has told reporters:
This is the first big event for me and of course it is the first event in Ukraine so it’s a huge event for golf in this country. I have played with many good players in pro-ams but this is different. I hope I play well…but I just want to have a good time and enjoy the week.
It’s quite different to football alright. I started to play golf to escape from the pressure from football.
I come on to a golf course and turn off my phone and just walk the course and hit some balls. It’s one of the reasons why I started to play. I just found this great game where you have to be focused and balanced and that’s why I like it. I like that mental balance.
Footage of Andriy Shevchenko practicising for the event and speaking to local reporters can be seen below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...