UEFA rule that Chelsea CANNOT forbid Atletico Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois to play if two sides meet
Following plenty of speculation regarding whether or not Thibaut Courtois would be able to play against Chelsea, UEFA have put their foot down.
On loan from Chelsea, Courtois reportedly had a clause in his contract meaning Atletico would have to pay a considerable sum of money to play the goalkeeper against Chelsea.
However, UEFA have today spoken out on the matter stating ”Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match.
”It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned.
”Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly.”
Effectively Chelsea risk being kicked out if they forbid Courtois to play.
Watch Live Stream
- Diego Simeone’s brilliant anti-Juventus Instagram post after Giovanni Simeone braceNovember 28, 2016
- Man United fans get excited as Antoine Griezmann produces another transfer hint [Telefoot]November 27, 2016
- Man United plan to sign one of the best defenders in the world this January [ESPN]November 27, 2016
- Antoine Griezmann admits he had doubts about Atletico future in summer [GQ]November 26, 2016
- These stats prove Chelsea were right to swap Jose Mourinho for Antonio ConteDecember 4, 2016
- Arsenal set to make incredible bid for Cesc Fabregas [Sunday Express]December 4, 2016
- Should Chelsea’s Nathan Ake have won a penalty v Liverpool? (Official Video)December 4, 2016
- FPL managers rush to sell Sergio Aguero, Spurs & Chelsea men top replacementsDecember 4, 2016
- Chelsea fans need not worry about The Sun’s Thibaut Courtois story todayNovember 27, 2016
- The Sun challenge the Telegraph with a negative story about Chelsea’s Thibaut CourtoisNovember 27, 2016
- Two of Chelsea’s best players set to agree new deals [Telegraph]November 24, 2016
- Marc Wilmots accuses Chelsea’s Courtois of being a mole, reveals Thibaut’s criticisms of Conte (L’Equipe Video)November 22, 2016