UEFA rule that Chelsea CANNOT forbid Atletico Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois to play if two sides meet
Following plenty of speculation regarding whether or not Thibaut Courtois would be able to play against Chelsea, UEFA have put their foot down.
On loan from Chelsea, Courtois reportedly had a clause in his contract meaning Atletico would have to pay a considerable sum of money to play the goalkeeper against Chelsea.
However, UEFA have today spoken out on the matter stating ”Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match.
”It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned.
”Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly.”
Effectively Chelsea risk being kicked out if they forbid Courtois to play.
Watch Live Stream
- Atletico Madrid offered Real Madrid €70m for Alvaro Morata [AS]August 28, 2016
- Arsenal tried to sign Antoine Griezmann & Robert Lewandowski this summer [Sun]August 28, 2016
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Despite Cesc Fabregas claims, Chelsea are still trying to sell the Spaniard [Gazzetta]August 29, 2016
- Chelsea fans take to social media to slam Man City’s Sergio AgueroAugust 29, 2016
- Man United & Chelsea told what they have to pay to sign Fabinho [L’Equipe]August 29, 2016
- Man City & Chelsea stars plus Marcus Rashford & Alexis Sanchez in the BBC XI of the weekAugust 29, 2016
- Chelsea stars Fabregas, Courtois and Begovic try NFL one-handed catch challenge (Video)July 15, 2016
- Thibaut Courtois ‘kicked off’ against Marc Wilmots in the locker room after Wales won [HLN]July 2, 2016
- Thibaut Courtois insists he will never finish his career at Chelsea & discusses BrexitJune 24, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois got into an ‘altercation’ with Marc Wilmots on a plane [BeIN Sports]June 16, 2016