UEFA president Michel Platini: ‘I don’t back Sepp Blatter, but I won’t stand for FIFA presidency’ [Video]
- August 28, 2014
UEFA president Michel Platini surprised a few people on Thursday when the Frenchman announced he won’t be challenging Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.
Platini’s decision was far from a ringing endorsement over Blatter, but rather a tactically move in which Platini continued to give himself room to jab away at the Swiss crony from the sidelines.
Plantini told reports in Monaco, on the day of the Champions League draw:
What matters here is not me or my feelings.
What matters is the future of Uefa, and of football. Uefa and European football have never been as strong and powerful as they are today and I have every intention of guarding this supremacy.
We all want a more transparent Fifa that functions better, and above all we want more solidarity, and we would like Fifa to be more respected by football lovers.
Now is not my time, not yet. I hope that somebody will oppose Mr. Blatter and nobody will oppose me for UEFA.
No, my choice was not based on who was running. I can’t be accused of being afraid of Mr. Blatter.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...