- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
Two explanations of why Borussia Dortmund fans threw bananas at Manuel Neuer
It was one of the images of the season – Bayern Munich keeper Manuel Neuer pelted with bananas by Borussia Dortmund fans, on coming out for the second half of the big Bundesliga match on Wednesday.
There have been various explanations for why Neuer was pelted with bananas.
Brooks Peck at Dirty Tackle says “Neuer’s banana storm was apparently a call back to when Dortmund fans used to give the same treatment to former Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn, who was nicknamed ‘Apeman’”.
Meanwhile in the comments section of the video below, we are indebted to Jamie for another explanation. “The Bundesliga trophy is referred to as the ‘bowl’, which in German is close to the word for banana, meaning the Dortmund fans are saying that that is the only way he is going to win the Bundesliga ‘bowl’.”
Neuer, of course, joined Bayern from Schalke, who are Borussia Dortmund’s great local rivals.
- Updated: April 12, 2012