- Raheem Sterling wins Tuttosport’s young player of 2014 award, Liverpool star called ‘black gold’
- Inter Milan want Aaron Lennon. Tottenham eye Fredy Guarin [Gazzetta Dello Sport]
- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
Twitter erupts with laughter as Man City select Demichelis to mark Barcelona’s Lionel Messi
The definition of YOLO – Giving Demichelis the job of marking Lionel Messi in a massive Champions League match
— John NOT Terry (@BigJohnTerry) February 18, 2014
Eyebrows have been raised, Carlo Ancelotti-style, at Manuel Pellegrini’s ballsy decision to pick Demichelis for Man City tonight.
The Argentine is widely regarded as a slow, laborious and clumsy weak link in the City side, and the decision is a curious one.
Demichelis was singled out for ridicule in City’s loss to Chelsea in the league two weeks ago, so it’s hard to understand Pellegrini’s thinking here.
More, word is he’s been tasked with marking some guy called Lionel Messi…
Here’s how Twitter reacted.
Demichelis vs. Messi. I don't need to say anything more, this is going to get nasty.
— FutbolBible (@FutbolBible) February 18, 2014
Messi up against Demichelis could get a bit…Messi…
— Jay_Riley (@Jay_78_) February 18, 2014
Demichelis starts for Manchester City. Have fun, Lionel.
— Natter Football (@NATTERFOOTBALL) February 18, 2014
This will not end well RT @eaamalyon: Demichelis v Messi? *empties savings*
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) February 18, 2014
Man City are playing Demichelis against Barcelona tonight. That's like putting a flip-flop outside your front door to stop floods getting in
— John Brennan (@ActingAnEejit) February 18, 2014
Barcelona team-talk: Demichelis is playing.
— Stuart Roy Clarke (@HOMESofFOOTBALL) February 18, 2014
Messi v Demichelis will probably be as one-sided as the Countdown Clock
— Çarlton Çole (@_CarltonCole9) February 18, 2014
The moment Man City fans heard about Demichelis starting. https://t.co/TzHf7Oum1V
— Football Vines (@Vine_Football) February 18, 2014
Messi v Demichelis is the sort of thing that should only be allowed to happen after the kids have gone to bed.
— Matthew Stanger (@MatthewStanger) February 18, 2014
- Updated: February 18, 2014