- Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet talks about his turnaround in form pre-Aston Villa [Video]
- Nacer Chadli and Andros Townsend captain game of Football-Tennis at Spurs training [Video]
- NUTS: Marseille’s Florian Thauvin pulls off slick Elastico-Nutmeg v Nantes [GIF]
- Jose Mourinho urges Manchester City not to sack old foe Pellegrini [Sun]
- Jose Mourinho has an interesting theory to explain why Chelsea receive so much online hate [Video]
Arsenal holding out for £10m from Man United or Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelen [Sun]
- August 5, 2014
The backpage of the Sun on Tuesday is conclusive: Thomas Vermaelen wants out of Arsenal.
For several weeks, if not months, the Gunners Belgian defender has been rumoured with possible moves to either Manchester United or FC Barcelona, and now the momentum is building for one of those deals to come to fruition.
Vermaelen, whose contract is up at the end of the 2014-15 season, is now being reported as “refusing” to discuss a contract extension at the Emirates, which appears to be forcing the Gunners to sell the defender now if they want to get any money for the 28-year-old.
The Sun report:
Thomas Vermaelen will not discuss a new Arsenal deal in a bid to force his Emirates exit.
Now Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is waiting for Barcelona or Manchester United to match the £10million asking price.
Behind the headlines, the Sun reveal that Wenger is wants Vermaelen to sign a one-year contract extension to his £60,000 a week contract, however the player appears unhappy to agree that deal.
Moreover, on Man United’s attempts to sign Vermaelen, the Sun claim that Wenger would be willing to the deal if the Gunners received Chris Smalling or Phil Jones as a straight swap for the Belgian. Man United, though, are refusing that offer.