Arsenal holding out for £10m from Man United or Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelen [Sun]
The backpage of the Sun on Tuesday is conclusive: Thomas Vermaelen wants out of Arsenal.
For several weeks, if not months, the Gunners Belgian defender has been rumoured with possible moves to either Manchester United or FC Barcelona, and now the momentum is building for one of those deals to come to fruition.
Vermaelen, whose contract is up at the end of the 2014-15 season, is now being reported as “refusing” to discuss a contract extension at the Emirates, which appears to be forcing the Gunners to sell the defender now if they want to get any money for the 28-year-old.
The Sun report:
Thomas Vermaelen will not discuss a new Arsenal deal in a bid to force his Emirates exit.
Now Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is waiting for Barcelona or Manchester United to match the £10million asking price.
Behind the headlines, the Sun reveal that Wenger is wants Vermaelen to sign a one-year contract extension to his £60,000 a week contract, however the player appears unhappy to agree that deal.
Moreover, on Man United’s attempts to sign Vermaelen, the Sun claim that Wenger would be willing to the deal if the Gunners received Chris Smalling or Phil Jones as a straight swap for the Belgian. Man United, though, are refusing that offer.
- Danny Welbeck took over Arsenal’s Snapchat & spoke to tons of players (Video)
- Rio Ferdinand calls Mesut Ozil an artist after Arsenal win over Dinamo Zagreb (Video)
- Chelsea old boy Didier Drogba picks Arsenal to win the league, praises Jamie Vardy (Sky Sports Au...
- How the PL table would look if every Paul Merson prediction was correct [Graphic]
- Rio Ferdinand: Man United keeper David De Gea is the best in the world (Video)
- Paul Scholes thinks Man United haven’t been as hard to watch lately because of Jesse Lingar...
- Manchester United vs PSV Eindhoven [Team Sheets]
- Rio Ferdinand calls Man United’s Chris Smalling the Premier League’s most consistent ...