Arsenal holding out for £10m from Man United or Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelen [Sun]
The backpage of the Sun on Tuesday is conclusive: Thomas Vermaelen wants out of Arsenal.
For several weeks, if not months, the Gunners Belgian defender has been rumoured with possible moves to either Manchester United or FC Barcelona, and now the momentum is building for one of those deals to come to fruition.
Vermaelen, whose contract is up at the end of the 2014-15 season, is now being reported as “refusing” to discuss a contract extension at the Emirates, which appears to be forcing the Gunners to sell the defender now if they want to get any money for the 28-year-old.
The Sun report:
Thomas Vermaelen will not discuss a new Arsenal deal in a bid to force his Emirates exit.
Now Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is waiting for Barcelona or Manchester United to match the £10million asking price.
Behind the headlines, the Sun reveal that Wenger is wants Vermaelen to sign a one-year contract extension to his £60,000 a week contract, however the player appears unhappy to agree that deal.
Moreover, on Man United’s attempts to sign Vermaelen, the Sun claim that Wenger would be willing to the deal if the Gunners received Chris Smalling or Phil Jones as a straight swap for the Belgian. Man United, though, are refusing that offer.
- Arsene Wenger: We surprised Manchester United with our pace (Video)
- Arsenal fan uses the win over Man United to send a message to Jose Mourinho (Video)
- Louis van Gaal was ‘amazed’ at how much space Man United gave Arsenal (Video)
- The confusing story about Arsenal’s new £130,000-a-week contract offer to Alexis ...
- Barcelona starlet Alen Halilovic scores Golazo for Sporting Gijon (official video)
- Neymar hit an amazing free-kick v Sevilla which stayed out as the ball refused to cross...
- Deco reveals brilliant story behind his 2004 move from Porto to Barcelona (Abola)
- Saturday Specials! Chelsea banker, boosted Palace & Leicester odds & 20/1 acca!