Arsenal holding out for £10m from Man United or Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelen [Sun]
- August 5, 2014
The backpage of the Sun on Tuesday is conclusive: Thomas Vermaelen wants out of Arsenal.
For several weeks, if not months, the Gunners Belgian defender has been rumoured with possible moves to either Manchester United or FC Barcelona, and now the momentum is building for one of those deals to come to fruition.
Vermaelen, whose contract is up at the end of the 2014-15 season, is now being reported as “refusing” to discuss a contract extension at the Emirates, which appears to be forcing the Gunners to sell the defender now if they want to get any money for the 28-year-old.
The Sun report:
Thomas Vermaelen will not discuss a new Arsenal deal in a bid to force his Emirates exit.
Now Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is waiting for Barcelona or Manchester United to match the £10million asking price.
Behind the headlines, the Sun reveal that Wenger is wants Vermaelen to sign a one-year contract extension to his £60,000 a week contract, however the player appears unhappy to agree that deal.
Moreover, on Man United’s attempts to sign Vermaelen, the Sun claim that Wenger would be willing to the deal if the Gunners received Chris Smalling or Phil Jones as a straight swap for the Belgian. Man United, though, are refusing that offer.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]