- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
- Divock Origi set to join up with Liverpool in Jan, Rodgers & co to pay Lille €6m extra [L'Equipe]
- Chelsea’s Oscar has ‘Family Fitness Day’ with his wife and sister…
Arsenal holding out for £10m from Man United or Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelen [Sun]
The backpage of the Sun on Tuesday is conclusive: Thomas Vermaelen wants out of Arsenal.
For several weeks, if not months, the Gunners Belgian defender has been rumoured with possible moves to either Manchester United or FC Barcelona, and now the momentum is building for one of those deals to come to fruition.
Vermaelen, whose contract is up at the end of the 2014-15 season, is now being reported as “refusing” to discuss a contract extension at the Emirates, which appears to be forcing the Gunners to sell the defender now if they want to get any money for the 28-year-old.
The Sun report:
Thomas Vermaelen will not discuss a new Arsenal deal in a bid to force his Emirates exit.
Now Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is waiting for Barcelona or Manchester United to match the £10million asking price.
Behind the headlines, the Sun reveal that Wenger is wants Vermaelen to sign a one-year contract extension to his £60,000 a week contract, however the player appears unhappy to agree that deal.
Moreover, on Man United’s attempts to sign Vermaelen, the Sun claim that Wenger would be willing to the deal if the Gunners received Chris Smalling or Phil Jones as a straight swap for the Belgian. Man United, though, are refusing that offer.
- Updated: August 5, 2014