Spurs target Liverpool’s Suarez & Porto’s Martinez with Bale money [Sunday Times]
- August 4, 2013
The Gareth Bale saga continues to spin out-of-control.
On Saturday night there were counter reports that Tottenham had done a deal with Real Madrid.
Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, the equivalent of the BBC, made the huge claim that Tottenham have accepted a 96 million euro bid for Bale, with the caveat that the Welsh striker does not leave until the end of next season, summer 2014. On the other hand, the Sunday Telegraph splashed their backpage with news that Spurs are furious over the Gareth Bale transfer speculation, and the Lillywhites are refusing to do business with Real Madrid.
Now the Sunday Times’ Duncan Castles has waded into the mire, printing an article detailing what Spurs plan to do if the sale of Bale actually goes through.
In an article surely aimed at hyping up Spurs fans, Castles writes:
Tottenham are considering a bid for unsettled Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and Colombia international Jackson Martinez as they plan to reinvest the income from Gareth Bale’s pending transfer to Real Madrid. Andre Villas-Boas is also seeking reinforcements in defence and on the wing to mitigate the world-record sale.
Reports claiming Tottenham are chasing Luis Suarez are in fact not that new. For over a week now Spanish reports have said that Spurs would like to sign the Uruguayan should Bale leave White Hart Lane, however no bids from Tottenham have yet been lodged.
Moreover, would Suarez really move to Tottenham? If the South American striker wishes to leave Liverpool, would he really go to another club in England who also aren’t in this season’s Champions League? It’s doubtful.
Moving to a supposed Tottenham bid for Jackson Martinez, once again has to doubt the possibility of that deal coming to fruition.
Porto’s 26-year-old Colombian centre-forward would cost Tottenham around €35m, however the Porto attacker, who scored an amazing 39 goals in 48 games for club and country last season, recently told Radio Renascenca:
I am happy to be here at a club like this. I am enjoying the opportunity to play here, I want to repeat what happened last season and win more trophies with Porto.
Saying all that, if Tottenham did have a strike-force of Roberto Soldado, Luis Suarez and Jackson Martinez next season, some would start believing the North Londoners could win their first league title since 1961.
- Bale & James bag braces as Real Madrid smash Real Betis 5-1 (Highlights)
- Gareth Bale gives first ever Spanish interview with 3 sentences learned by heart (Video)
- Gareth Bale arrives at Real Madrid training in a chauffeur-driven Porsche 911 Classic (...
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale wins at Life with Slo-Mo Swimming Pool Scissors Kick (V...
- No place for Gareth Bale in Real Madrid fans’ Starting XI [MARCA Survey]
- Fail: Real Madrid star Gareth Bale & his friends take dizzy penalties (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...