Tottenham prepare final push for David Villa, Arsenal no longer interested [El Mundo Deportivo]
- June 24, 2013
Its been rumoured for some time and this week it appears Tottenham are preparing a final push to sign Barcelona striker David Villa, according to a report in El Mundo Deportivo on Monday morning.
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas has instructed new director of football Franco Baldini to close a deal for Villa, who is surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp and keen to test himself in the Premier League.
Tottenham’s failure to bag a Champions League spot was thought to be a hindrance to the deal but Arsenal are no longer interested and Fiorentina, who also keen on Villa, will be competing in the Europa League next season.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had been close to signing Villa in January. The Gunners had agreed personal terms but Barcelona were not willing to let the Spanish striker leave the club mid season.
El Mundo Deportivo claim Spurs are very advanced in terms of an agreement with the player and Baldini is set to discuss the move with the Spanish giants for a fee of around 15 million euros.
The sticking point which may delay any deal being announced imminently is that Villa has one year left on his deal at Barcelona and is set to negotiate a pay off with the Catalans, reportedly worth around 10 million euros.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...