- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Tottenham fans chant “Yiddo! Yiddo! Yiddo!” after Paulinho’s late winner v Cardiff [Video]
Another week, another video of Tottenham fans screaming the Y-word.
Despite strong statements of intent and a celebrity-backed campaign to stop the words “Yids” from being heard at Premier League football matches, fans of Tottenham Hotspur simply refuse to give up ownership of one of the main words in their football lexicon.
On Sunday at White Hart Lane, the Yiddo chant was loud and audible after Paulinho grabbed a 93rd minute winner against Cardiff.
After the Brazilian had snatched Spurs a late three points to move them up into second in the table, the Tottenham faithful showered the Brazilian with chants of “Yiddo! Yiddo! Yiddo!”.
Despite pressure to force the Y-word out of football, Tottenham fans have embraced the name “Yids” or “Yiddos” and it impossible to see Spurs fans give up this label. It may have started as a defensive chant to the “Seig Heils” and “Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz,” but the term has undoubtedly part of the furniture at White Hart Lane.
Watch Paulinho’s winner against Cardiff together with the “Yiddo! Yiddo! Yiddo!” chants below.
- Updated: September 23, 2013