Tony Tchani the latest MLS player to score and see red (Toronto FC-Columbus Crew)
- April 24, 2011
Any booking handed out for a celebration is a shocking rule. This website has urged FIFA to change bookings for goal celebrations (e.g. taking a shirt off) for some time now and the way things are going the MLS may come out in support pretty soon.
Just over a couple of weeks ago we highlighted Eric Hassli’s crazy sending off during the Vancouver Whitecaps encounter with the New England Revolution.
The latest player to come a cropper is Toronto FC midfielder Tony Tchani who scored and then after receiving his second booking was sent off on Saturday night in the 1-1 draw with Columbus Crew.
There are a number of factors which make this sending off really harsh. To start with Tchani disputed his first yellow card, handed out just three minutes before his goal and subsequent red card.
Tchani:Â â€œOn the first [yellow card] it wasnâ€™t me; I didnâ€™t push the guy â€” it was my teammate, I didnâ€™t want to snitch on my teammate but it was my teammate who pushed the guy. Then the ref called me and gave me the yellow card, I was shocked. Then on the second one, I was like, â€˜Whatâ€™s going on?â€™ Then he gives me the red.â€
Following Tchani’s goal, his first in the MLS, the 22-year-oldÂ Cameroon midfielderÂ ran over the advertising hoardings and into the crowd, then ran all the way back to the centre circle before the referee whipped out a second yellow.
In his defence Tchani said afterwards: “I didnâ€™t think it was stupid because I have seen games before that [players go into the crowd] all the time. I thought that for my first goal I had to give that to the fans.â€
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...