- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Tomas Rincon promises to harm Lionel Messi, duly does during Argentina win over Venezuela
Venezuela’s Tomas Rincon doesn’t like Lionel Messi.
In the build-up to Friday’s World Cup qualifier between Argentina and Venezuela, Rincon, who plays his club football for Hamburg, said: “I’ll eat Leo’s ankles.”
Previously, when Venezuela beat Argentina in World Cup qualifying at home in October 2011, Rincon made sure to celebrate right in front of Messi (see first video below.)
On Friday, Rincon backed up his pre-game promise with a hard body check on Messi that left the Barcelona superstar with an abdomen injury as well as a bruise below his right eye.
Messi, as ever, had the last laugh, scoring a penalty and grabbing both assists as Argentina eased to a 3-0 win over Venezuela.
And, as well as moving to just one goal behind Diego Maradona in the Argentina all-time goal scoring charts, Messi also produced a rather cheeky Nuts! on Rincon for good measure.
Three videos below: Rincon celebrating in Messi’s face in 2011, Rincon battering Messi last night & Messi’s revenge.
- Updated: March 23, 2013