The Times: Manchester United tracking Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes to replace De Gea
- January 21, 2013
As if the constant criticism from Gary Neville since his alleged mistake at Spurs wasn’t enough, the back page of The Times on Tuesday suggests Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is tracking Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes to replace David De Gea.
James Ducker in The Times writes that United are “monitoring” Valdes and “have been scouting replacements for around two months amid growing concerns that the Spain Under-23 goalkeeper’s suitability for the Barclays Premier League.”
The article adds that Manchester United are very unlikely to move for a replacement for De Gea during the January transfer window but do suggest a swap deal with Barcelona in the summer.
Victor Valdes announced last week that he would not be signing a new deal at the Nou Camp, leaving just 18 months on his current Barcelona deal.
Other goalkeepers linked with Manchester United in the piece include Liverpool’s Pepe Reina and Stoke City custodian Asmir Begovic.
As has been widely mentioned over the past day or so, The Times also add that Manchester United are “on the verge of finalising a move” for Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha.
The Times back page on Tuesday is below. Via Nick Sutton.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...