Thibaut Courtois WILL NOT play if Atletico Madrid face Chelsea in Champions League semi-finals
Friday’s Champions League draw is eagerly awaited by all four teams involved, as well as the rest of Europe, but Thibaut Courtois has found himself in an awkward position.
The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper, who has been sensational all season, could well be forced to sit out the semi-finals if the Spanish side are drawn against his parent team, Chelsea.
Courtois has been on loan at Atletico Madrid for three seasons now, gaining valuable experience and ndoubtedly establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in world football.
Last night, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo confirmed on Spanish radio that a clause in the loan contract only allows Courtois to play if the Spanish side pay a very large fee.
Cerezo said on Spanish radio that “its a fee Atletico cannot afford to pay” to Chelsea and there are various reports that it stands at 6 million euros – 3 million per game.
Two years ago, Courtois did line up for Atletico Madrid against Chelsea in the European Super Cup but this was before any clause in his contract.
This all comes in the backdrop of Courtois’s future being heavily discussed. The 21-year-old Belgian is expected to sign a new Chelsea deal in the coming weeks and has been tipped to displace Petr Chech in the Blues first team in 2014/2015.
Watch Live Stream
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Man Utd fans will love Antoine Griezmann’s reason for wearing Long Sleeved Number 7August 22, 2016
- Atletico Madrid 1 – Alaves 1: Late drama as the Rojiblancos drop two points (Official Video)August 22, 2016
- Chelsea & Arsenal remain interested in James Rodriguez [AS]August 26, 2016
- Chelsea’s official channel destroy a Spurs fan on FacebookAugust 26, 2016
- Chelsea fans react angrily on Twitter to club’s announcement of goalkeeper EduardoAugust 25, 2016
- AC Milan confirm rejection of huge Chelsea offer for Alessio Romagnoli [Official Statement]August 25, 2016
- Chelsea stars Fabregas, Courtois and Begovic try NFL one-handed catch challenge (Video)July 15, 2016
- Thibaut Courtois ‘kicked off’ against Marc Wilmots in the locker room after Wales won [HLN]July 2, 2016
- Thibaut Courtois insists he will never finish his career at Chelsea & discusses BrexitJune 24, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois got into an ‘altercation’ with Marc Wilmots on a plane [BeIN Sports]June 16, 2016