Thibaut Courtois WILL NOT play if Atletico Madrid face Chelsea in Champions League semi-finals
- April 10, 2014
Friday’s Champions League draw is eagerly awaited by all four teams involved, as well as the rest of Europe, but Thibaut Courtois has found himself in an awkward position.
The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper, who has been sensational all season, could well be forced to sit out the semi-finals if the Spanish side are drawn against his parent team, Chelsea.
Courtois has been on loan at Atletico Madrid for three seasons now, gaining valuable experience and ndoubtedly establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in world football.
Last night, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo confirmed on Spanish radio that a clause in the loan contract only allows Courtois to play if the Spanish side pay a very large fee.
Cerezo said on Spanish radio that “its a fee Atletico cannot afford to pay” to Chelsea and there are various reports that it stands at 6 million euros – 3 million per game.
Two years ago, Courtois did line up for Atletico Madrid against Chelsea in the European Super Cup but this was before any clause in his contract.
This all comes in the backdrop of Courtois’s future being heavily discussed. The 21-year-old Belgian is expected to sign a new Chelsea deal in the coming weeks and has been tipped to displace Petr Chech in the Blues first team in 2014/2015.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...