Thibaut Courtois WILL NOT play if Atletico Madrid face Chelsea in Champions League semi-finals
- April 10, 2014
Friday’s Champions League draw is eagerly awaited by all four teams involved, as well as the rest of Europe, but Thibaut Courtois has found himself in an awkward position.
The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper, who has been sensational all season, could well be forced to sit out the semi-finals if the Spanish side are drawn against his parent team, Chelsea.
Courtois has been on loan at Atletico Madrid for three seasons now, gaining valuable experience and ndoubtedly establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in world football.
Last night, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo confirmed on Spanish radio that a clause in the loan contract only allows Courtois to play if the Spanish side pay a very large fee.
Cerezo said on Spanish radio that “its a fee Atletico cannot afford to pay” to Chelsea and there are various reports that it stands at 6 million euros – 3 million per game.
Two years ago, Courtois did line up for Atletico Madrid against Chelsea in the European Super Cup but this was before any clause in his contract.
This all comes in the backdrop of Courtois’s future being heavily discussed. The 21-year-old Belgian is expected to sign a new Chelsea deal in the coming weeks and has been tipped to displace Petr Chech in the Blues first team in 2014/2015.
- Atletico Madrid’s Luciano Vietto scores perfect Panenka v Sagan Tosu (Video)
- Not Ideal: Stefan Savic scores unfortunate own goal on Atletico Madrid debut (Video)
- Olimpico: Atletico midfielder Koke scores directly from corner kick versus Sagan Tosu (...
- Still Got It: Diego Simeone pulls off neat rainbow flick in Atletico Madrid training (V...
- Fernando Torres scores for Atletico Madrid at Real Oviedo (video)
- Chelsea confirm permanent sale of Filipe Luis to Atletico Madrid; Reported fee of £11.3m
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi