Thibaut Courtois WILL NOT play if Atletico Madrid face Chelsea in Champions League semi-finals
Friday’s Champions League draw is eagerly awaited by all four teams involved, as well as the rest of Europe, but Thibaut Courtois has found himself in an awkward position.
The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper, who has been sensational all season, could well be forced to sit out the semi-finals if the Spanish side are drawn against his parent team, Chelsea.
Courtois has been on loan at Atletico Madrid for three seasons now, gaining valuable experience and ndoubtedly establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in world football.
Last night, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo confirmed on Spanish radio that a clause in the loan contract only allows Courtois to play if the Spanish side pay a very large fee.
Cerezo said on Spanish radio that “its a fee Atletico cannot afford to pay” to Chelsea and there are various reports that it stands at 6 million euros – 3 million per game.
Two years ago, Courtois did line up for Atletico Madrid against Chelsea in the European Super Cup but this was before any clause in his contract.
This all comes in the backdrop of Courtois’s future being heavily discussed. The 21-year-old Belgian is expected to sign a new Chelsea deal in the coming weeks and has been tipped to displace Petr Chech in the Blues first team in 2014/2015.
Watch Live Stream
- Diego Simeone’s brilliant anti-Juventus Instagram post after Giovanni Simeone braceNovember 28, 2016
- Man United fans get excited as Antoine Griezmann produces another transfer hint [Telefoot]November 27, 2016
- Man United plan to sign one of the best defenders in the world this January [ESPN]November 27, 2016
- Antoine Griezmann admits he had doubts about Atletico future in summer [GQ]November 26, 2016
- Mata claims he’s still the same player Jose Mourinho sold at ChelseaDecember 4, 2016
- These stats prove Chelsea were right to swap Jose Mourinho for Antonio ConteDecember 4, 2016
- Arsenal set to make incredible bid for Cesc Fabregas [Sunday Express]December 4, 2016
- Should Chelsea’s Nathan Ake have won a penalty v Liverpool? (Official Video)December 4, 2016
- Chelsea fans need not worry about The Sun’s Thibaut Courtois story todayNovember 27, 2016
- The Sun challenge the Telegraph with a negative story about Chelsea’s Thibaut CourtoisNovember 27, 2016
- Two of Chelsea’s best players set to agree new deals [Telegraph]November 24, 2016
- Marc Wilmots accuses Chelsea’s Courtois of being a mole, reveals Thibaut’s criticisms of Conte (L’Equipe Video)November 22, 2016